Thread: Xubuntu and unresponsive AWN panel

Beans

Question Xubuntu and unresponsive AWN panel

Hi, I've been playing around with Xubuntu and I finally found a configuration that I like. It involves having two AWN panels on the desktop and therein lies the problem I'm facing:

Pretty often, either one of the panels will have its applets become unresponsive to the mouse : they neither react to hovering over them nor to clicks. Otherwise, they still work : any applet that does something by itself keeps doing it.

The panels themselves work as well : they are configured dynamically hide (hide when touched by a window, reappear if the mouse then comes over them). As a matter of fact, having them reappear with the mouse gesture is the only to be able to interact with the applets themselves when they've gone into that semi-frozen state.

I must say I really have no idea as to what to do to correct that probelm.

Anyone ?

Beans

Re: Xubuntu and unresponsive AWN panel

Is there really nobody with a suggestion ?

Really ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

AWN doesn't look like it's been worked on in about 2 years. Not sure if it's still being developed or not. It's support forum is 95% spam so that's not a good sign. You may want to switch to another dock...one that's more actively maintained. Cairo Dock is nice and has a ton of applets and settings. Docky might also work. Both allow the use of multiple docks. Both are in the software center.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use AWN on my own Xubuntu 11.04 system. It works beautifully and I much prefer AWN over Cairo. From what I can tell, AWN is still very much under development. If we judged projects by their forums, I would have to conclude that Kubuntu is on life support -- and needs to be unplugged. What version of Xubuntu are you using?
    Last edited by VTPoet; February 22nd, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Well, after trying cairo out, I must say that I find AWN more interesting. Right now I'm using it with xubuntu 11.10 (which works fine otherwise).