Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to partition HDD in ubuntu just like windows

Beans

Re: How to partition HDD in ubuntu just like windows

Thanks a lot, the above two threads are really helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

I'm not an Ubuntu expert but I do understand the file system structure, I am a Windows expert however so maybe I can add some value to this thread.

Firstly, why do you have 4 partitions on your Windows install? This isn't really needed and seems a bit of a waste, just means more partitions to defrag if you ask me. If the disk ever fails then the likelihood is that all partitions on the drive will be lost anyway so there is no real advantage to the 3 partition.

Plus there is a limit of 4 primary partitions on a disk so you need to be aware of this also and look at creating logical/extended partitions. If it was me, here is how I would partition my disk to achieve your aim:

Windows:
    OS (C) - 20GB minimum - NTFS

Personal/Work Data - However big you want it to be - NTFS (you could create a separate work partition but I don't see the point, folders should be enough.

Ubuntu:
    OS (/) - 20GB minimum - Ext4

SWAP - Depending on how much RAM you have changes the size of this. Some people think that if you have more than 4GB RAM then you don't need SWAP. I personally have 3GB of RAM in my machine and have NEVER used SWAP. TO be safe maybe create a 2GB SWAP just in case.

Data (/home)- As big as you like - Ext4

Boot (/boot) - 100MB - Ext4 - This will mean that your boot loader (GRUB) will be on a separate partition so if you ever remove Ubuntu from your drive, you will still be able to boot Windows as GRUB supersedes the Windows MBR.

As I said, this is just my humble opinion as to how I would partition a drive. You can of course change or completely ignore this however you like. Hope it gives you something to go off though.

Kev

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not think most desktops need a separate /boot. Old systems with a BIOS boot limit of 137GB need a /boot partition fully in the first 137GB, also servers or server like configurations with RAID or LVM may need a /boot.

Herman on advantages/disadvantages of separate system partitions post#3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1410392

For most new users a separate /home for data works and you can reinstall your entire system and reuse/remount th existing /home without reformating as part of the new install.

But /home has two parts. It has all the user setting and some default files/folders for programs in hidden folders and all your data in folders like Music, Documents etc. You can split /home into your user setting and then put all your data into other partition(s) or other drives.

Splitting home directory discussion:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811198
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901437
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=%2Fdata

The actual user settings are small. My /home is 1GB with about 3/4 of that as .wine with Picasa which I have not yet moved to my /data. Because /home is small I now keep it as part of / (root).
    Then I can have a fully functioning system on one drive but have data linked in from other partitions on other drives.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Like I said, it's my personal opinion on the matter. I personally like to have a /boot partition so if I ever remove Ubuntu I can still boot into Windows without doing a GRUB repair. It's just simpler that way. But hey, each to their own right?

Kev.

Beans

Thanks for the information.. Its really helpful.

Beans

Actually, the more number of partitions increase better grouping of data and better arrangement. If I had only one partition, more number of folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders increase which looks very complex to use data.

And in linux where we interact with terminal frequently to enter dir, it really sucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12