Thread: Disk full error

Hybrid View

Beans

Disk full error

ok so I ma doing the upgrades and get the error to run apt-get -f install so I log into putty and run that and I get this error

Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main linux-server amd 64 3.0.0.16.19 [1,726 B]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main linux-image-3.0. 0-16-server amd64 3.0.0-16.28 [37.1 MB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main linux-image-serv er amd64 3.0.0.16.19 [2,512 B]
    Fetched 37.2 MB in 35s (1,048 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 330753 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace linux-server 3.0.0.15.17 (using .../linux-server_3.0.0.16.1 9_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement linux-server ...
    Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-3.0.0-16-server.
    Unpacking linux-image-3.0.0-16-server (from .../linux-image-3.0.0-16-server_3.0. 0-16.28_amd64.deb) ...
    Done.
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.0.0-16-server_3.0.0 -16.28_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./boot/vmlinuz-3.0. 0-16-server': No space left on device
    No apport report written because the error message indicates a disk full error
    dp kg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.0.0-16-server /boot/ vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-server
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-16-server /boot/v mlinuz-3.0.0-16-server
    Preparing to replace linux-image-server 3.0.0.15.17 (using .../linux-image-serve r_3.0.0.16.19_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement linux-image-server ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.0.0-16-server_3.0.0-16.28_amd64.deb
    Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket / var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

any help on how to fix this would be great. my system shows that I have:

Real memory1.71 GB total, 879.90 MB usedVirtual memory5.01 GB total, 32.21 MB usedLocal disk space288.45 GB total, 27.36 GB used

so no clue where it is getting a disk full error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Disk full error

Take a look at this guide. It has both GUI and terminal methods of determining why a partition has become full.

Often it is backkups made to the wrong partition (to / instead of another partition, which wasn't mounted when the backup was made), large log files, or unemptied Trash Bins (yours and root's).

HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space

To quickly gain a bit of space you can run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    which will removed previously downloaded packages.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I only have one partition that is 288 gb and only 27 gb used? just find that weird

just looked and it is the /boot that is showing 100% full
    Last edited by thunder63cs; February 19th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

so what is the kcore file for? it seems to be the one that is taking all the space up at the moment? itis showing /proc/kcore

but on the other side tried to use the guide to do the expansion and I can't update or any thing else with the boot mount full and is it safe to unmount and remount this as it is with out doing the update and installing ntfsprogs ? can't install do to disk full.... big circle... lol

Beans

1) Are you positive /boot is not in a separate small partition? Having a separate /boot partition is pretty common, especially on multi-boot setups.

2) Items in /proc are not real files and are stored in memory not on the disk. /proc is created afresh on each boot by the kernel to store the information the kernel needs to run the OS.

3) Run the command "df" at a prompt to see a list of each mounted filesystem, its mount point, and its usage. If there is no /boot, and only one big filesystem mounted at /, and that filesystem is 100% full, you need to figure out where the large files are concentrated. Run "cd /; du -s *" to get a listing of disk usage by major directory.

4) If you're having problems booting, try booting from an older kernel in the list and use "recovery mode". If you can't boot at all, boot from the installation CD, pick "Try Ubuntu" and go from there. Your hard drive will not be mounted, but you can open a Terminal and mount the drive some place temporarily like /mnt for diagnosis.

Beans

booting up is no problem tryign to upgrade everything is ..

when I do the df command it does list /boot

and it is at 100%

and now some how I managed to get putty wherer the connection is being refused....

the more I look at it looks likek the ssh server is not starting up even when I go in and tell it too it says that it did but when I look at it again shows that it didn't
    Last edited by thunder63cs; February 20th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.