Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't boot ubuntu from usb 2.0 flash drive

Beans

can't boot ubuntu from usb 2.0 flash drive

I can boot with ubuntu live cd only if I press F6 and select "Nomodeset" option.

Hence, I need to do the same thing with the flash drive, but when I press f6, I get no option of selecting "nomodeset" or any other option. Therefore, how do I select and enable "nomodeset" on the usb 2.0 flash drive?

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: can't boot ubuntu from usb 2.0 flash drive

I have not tried this on a USB Flash Drive myself, but you should be able to hold down the shift key as the OS boots and getto a grub menu from there and enter the nomodeset option , instructions will be at bottom of menu box I believe.

If this is incorrect then I apologise in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winh8r View Post
    I have not tried this on a USB Flash Drive myself, but you should be able to hold down the shift key as the OS boots and getto a grub menu from there and enter the nomodeset option , instructions will be at bottom of menu box I believe.

If this is incorrect then I apologise in advance.
    Well, I was able to type "nomodeset" but when I do that, I get this error message:
    "could not find error image: nomodeset".

So, someone please inform me what should I try next?

Beans

Strange, I can see my flash drive, I have Linux mint installed to it, I installed it through windows using an application I found on the net. I can see folders for boot sector and grub, can't boot to the flash drive though. Don't know why. Could just be old mobo, as no error comes up, the bios just hangs when I select flash drive as boot device. Oh well

Beans

burn ISO using unetbootin use live CD to download ISO and install unetbootin on live cd use unetbootin to burn iso on usb

Beans

you seem to have xperience.

But it's as though you didn't read the thread. We both have working flash drives, in fact I can put files on mine(which is strange because the drive is partitioned, flash memory partition wonder how the contiguous area works) and OS boot sector and grub are there. Maybe you are right, maybe it didn't install right and I should use unetbootin and install OS on Linux desk op instead. But then maybe Tha won't help anything. It's not guaranteed that it's not a mobo bios doesn't like booting o USB issue.

Also, OP didn't specify how he installed OS, could be he used unetbootin. Also burn to flash drive lmfao WHUT, flash drive = flash memory, no read and write laser. You could say install OS to flash drive, don't think the term "burn" woks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    you seem to have xperience.

But it's as though you didn't read the thread. We both have working flash drives, in fact I can put files on mine(which is strange because the drive is partitioned, flash memory partition wonder how the contiguous area works) and OS boot sector and grub are there. Maybe you are right, maybe it didn't install right and I should use unetbootin and install OS on Linux desk op instead. But then maybe Tha won't help anything. It's not guaranteed that it's not a mobo bios doesn't like booting o USB issue.

Also, OP didn't specify how he installed OS, could be he used unetbootin. Also burn to flash drive lmfao WHUT, flash drive = flash memory, no read and write laser. You could say install OS to flash drive, don't think the term "burn" woks.
    woks.LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

try a different flash drive?
    You may be root, but I am the tree.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    I tried both methods separately and both failed: pendrivelinux and unetbootin. I used a laptop to install both of them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coolman98 View Post
    try a different flash drive?

don't have a extra flash drive currently.

So is their any way to try using the "nomodeset" [cuz for me that works with my live ubuntu cd] on the flash drive, since the usual method doesn't work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast