Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does ufw do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What does ufw do?

I am a newbie when it comes to firewalls. I fiddled with firewalls when I was into XP, but have ignored them on Linux. I understand the basics of a firewall[maybe?].

For the past couple of years I have done nothing with the firewall, but this week, I have set up my ubuntu installs
    by $sudo ufw enable. I do nothing else.

I have either wired connections and wireless connections on all of my desktops.

In the above situation, am I doing ANYTHING by enabling ufw? If yes, what am I doing?

Just curious. In the past week or so I had been losing my wired connection frequently. I was at wits end trying to figure out the problem. In desperation, I tried ufw enable. And the problem now seems to be solved. Coincidence?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What does ufw do?

If you want a GUI , install gufw

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    I am a newbie when it comes to firewalls. I fiddled with firewalls when I was into XP, but have ignored them on Linux. I understand the basics of a firewall[maybe?].

For the past couple of years I have done nothing with the firewall, but this week, I have set up my ubuntu installs
    by $sudo ufw enable. I do nothing else.

I have either wired connections and wireless connections on all of my desktops.

In the above situation, am I doing ANYTHING by enabling ufw? If yes, what am I doing?

Just curious. In the past week or so I had been losing my wired connection frequently. I was at wits end trying to figure out the problem. In desperation, I tried ufw enable. And the problem now seems to be solved. Coincidence?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871177

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1876124

Both threads will answer your questions and how to use it or somethng else effectively.

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I believe a coincidence because turning on ufw by default does nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you haven't installed any server application that would listen for incoming network connections, then enabling UFW won't do anything for you. There is no use for a firewall if there's no connections for it to block...

...and even if you had installed some server, you'd only need a firewall if you wanted to limit it's connectivity beyond what the server's own configuration options allow you to do.

Anyway, UFW just configures rules for the built-in firewall of Linux kernel, and makes sure the rules are loaded on every boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you all for your replies. & haqking thanks for the urls. (They didn't show up in my google search)
    Last edited by ubume2; February 18th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    If you haven't installed any server application that would listen for incoming network connections, then enabling UFW won't do anything for you. There is no use for a firewall if there's no connections for it to block...

...and even if you had installed some server, you'd only need a firewall if you wanted to limit it's connectivity beyond what the server's own configuration options allow you to do.

Anyway, UFW just configures rules for the built-in firewall of Linux kernel, and makes sure the rules are loaded on every boot.
    I have reread that a few times and not sure if you are saying what i think you are or not...LOL

Anyways to clarify for the OP, a firewall is about more than blocking incoming connections or controlling services that may be associated with a port.

Firewalls also control outgoing connections, regardless of if you have services listening on a given port, you want to control outbound traffic to prevent reverse connections or exploited applications that may configure there own arbitrary port.

The whole thing about not needing a firewall if you have no services listening or because Ubuntu/Linux has no default ports open by default is not a good philosophy in terms of general security best practice

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 haqking
    The whole thing about not needing a firewall if you have no services listening or because Ubuntu/Linux has no default ports open by default is not a good philosophy in terms of general security best practice
    as stated in the first link of hakings post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I have reread that a few times and not sure if you are saying what i think you are or not...LOL
    Hard to say which way it is since you didn't say what you thought I were saying...

My point is that you shouldn't need a firewall for any normal use case. Especially not on a desktop machine. You only need one if you run a server application and are not able to configure the server itself to limit connectivity the way you'd want to.

So, on a desktop system there's no need for a firewall because there's nothing listening for incoming connections, and thus nothing for the firewall to block. And on system running, for example, Apache server, there shouldn't be any need for a firewall since either you want the web server to be accessible from the Internet, or you only want to limit it to local network or localhost, which can both be done directly through Apache's configuration.

So the most common reason why you'd really need a firewall is that you are running a server application that you wan to limit to localhost or certain addresses only, but that server itself doesn't have such option. And of course there are some more advanced firewall tasks like protecting against DoS attacks and such.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Hard to say which way it is since you didn't say what you thought I were saying...

My point is that you shouldn't need a firewall for any normal use case. Especially not on a desktop machine. You only need one if you run a server application and are not able to configure the server itself to limit connectivity the way you'd want to.

So, on a desktop system there's no need for a firewall because there's nothing listening for incoming connections, and thus nothing for the firewall to block. And on system running, for example, Apache server, there shouldn't be any need for a firewall since either you want the web server to be accessible from the Internet, or you only want to limit it to local network or localhost, which can both be done directly through Apache's configuration.

So the most common reason why you'd really need a firewall is that you are running a server application that you wan to limit to localhost or certain addresses only, but that server itself doesn't have such option. And of course there are some more advanced firewall tasks like protecting against DoS attacks and such.
    I don't understand what you're saying. A desktop doesn't listen for incoming connections? Here's the output on my desktop. Can you explain why these ports have "listen" after them?
    Code:
    ms.daisy@ms.daisy-machine:~$ sudo lsof -i -P -n
    COMMAND    PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    smbd       969  root   24u  IPv6   8449      0t0  TCP *:445 (LISTEN)
    smbd       969  root   25u  IPv6   8451      0t0  TCP *:139 (LISTEN)
    cupsd     1091  root    9u  IPv6  26182      0t0  TCP [::1]:631 (LISTEN)
    cupsd     1091  root   10u  IPv4  26183      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:631 (LISTEN)
    vmware-au 1299  root    8u  IPv4   8644      0t0  TCP *:902 (LISTEN)
    firefox   6731 ms.daisy   52u  IPv4 104023      0t0  TCP 192.186.10.69:46335->74.125.93.138:80 (ESTABLISHED)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast