Thread: Unable to boot to Live CD on MacBook

Beans

Exclamation Unable to boot to Live CD on MacBook

I am a new Ubuntu/Mac user. After virtualizing Ubuntu 10.10 on my MacBook 4,1, I decided that I wanted to install it, and dual-boot my computer. I installed rEFIt, made sure it was working, downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.1-i386 (Maverick Meercat isn’t compatible on my MacBook) and burned it to a DVD in Disk Utility.

I shut down my computer and booted to the disk while holding ‘c’. The disk spun for a while, then I was greeted with a black screen and blinking cursor. I waited for about an hour, until I finally gave up and rebooted to my hard drive. I thought it might be a faulty DVD, so I burned a new one at the slowest speed. It still didn’t work.

I decided I would try making a bootable USB stick on a PC. I plugged it it. Rebooted, and selected it in the rEFIt menu. Still didn’t work.

Somebody, please help me! I love Ubuntu, and would love to have it installed on my machine!
    Last edited by sircram; November 25th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.

Beans

Re: Unable to boot to Live CD on MacBook

I have the same issue right now, only I have a Macbook Pro 3,1. I have tried multiple versions of ubuntu, even multiple distros, nothing seems to be booting from cd or USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need a Linux install on my laptop.

Thanks.

Justin Siples

Beans

I really want Linux on my laptop! If you find a solution, please post it here!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsiples View Post
    I have the same issue right now, only I have a Macbook Pro 3,1. I have tried multiple versions of ubuntu, even multiple distros, nothing seems to be booting from cd or USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need a Linux install on my laptop.

Thanks.

Justin Siples

Beans

For whatever reason it is, I have the same exact problem. I'm totally puzzeld. does anyone have a clue as to the sort of the problem?

Beans

I am also having this problem: MacBook (4,1) recognizes the CD at boot, it spins up, then shows a "missing operating system" warning with a blinking cursor as the disk spins down. The disk boots fine on a PC. I have tried with 10.04 and 10.10. If anyone can offer some insight on this, that would be fantastic, as it appears to be a fairly common issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know this is a rather old thread, haven't anyone figured that out?. I have a strange problem, namely that the live cd will work only the first time. On both mac computers I have tried Ubuntu live cd, it only loads once and if I try a second time, black screen + cursor. I want to install it on the disk now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi and please start a new thread with your issues. Thread closed.