Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webcam not working in Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Webcam not working in Ubuntu 11.10

Hi,
    I am new to Ubuntu, but like it a lot except for the fact that the built-in webcam on my Compaq CQ10-700SE is not working. I have followed all the fixes for laptops with webcam problems that I've found on the forums, but nothing has worked. Programs like "Cheese" do see the camera as /dev/video0, but the camera light never goes on and I get no image from it. Everything in Skype works, but I transmit no picture. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Beans

Re: Webcam not working in Ubuntu 11.10

I found something interesting... I tried sudo apt-get install v4l2ucp then ran sudo v4l2ucp and the camera started working in Cheese. So, I quit programs and tried it again, but it wont work anymore. When I open v4l2ucp it says unable to open /dev/video0 but I kow that's where it is. Strange thing though... Cheese is sometimes saying /dev/video1 and sometimes /dev/video0 either way though it's not working. Please help me somebody!

Beans

So, my camera worked for all of two seconds... now when I run
    ls /dev/video*

in the terminal it says /dev/video1 in yellow text and everytime I try to run Video4Linux Control Panels it says /dev/video0 doesn't exist. This program only worked the one time for two seconds. Did it change my configuration?

Beans

if you want you can check my video in youtube Fix Skype webCam Problem, Ubuntu 11.10, Greek-Eng

Beans

Koftis, thanks for responding! It didn't work though! I did everything just like the video but when I test video devices in Skype it says "No devices Found on /dev/video0".

I think that your solution might have worked for me before I tried to use "Video4 Linux Control Panel" because before I did that the camera was showing up as /dev/video0 but now that I tried that program (which actually worked for two seconds!) the camera shows up as /dev/video1.

Any ideas how I can get my camera back to showing up as /dev/video0 again???

σας ευχαριστώ!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Run Cheese from the terminal. What messages does it display in the terminal ? Are there any error messages ?

That might give a place to start debugging the problem.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Hi, Thanks for replying!

When I run Cheese normally it says the same thing as all the other programs I've tried... "no such device at /dev/video0". This is what I get for everything since I tried Video 4 Linux Control Panel. Before that I could see it no problem there. Now do /dev/video* it tells me that it's on /dev/video1.

Something REALLY interesting happened the other day. I accidentally started Cheese not meaning to and it was working! It worked just fine, so I said, "OK, let's turn it off and back on again to see if it still works". It didn't... in fact it's exactly as it was before. It seems to me to just some little bug somewhere, BUT WHERE?!?

I've tried every bit of advice I've been able to find on Ubuntu Forums and nothing has worked. (Who knows if I've messed it up even worse?)

Is there some way to change the camera's location back to /dev/video0 ??

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Beans

When I started Cheese before, I didn't do it in the terminal, but I just did it and THE CAMERA SEEMS TO BE WORKING!!! I even tried it in Skype too!

I did get this error message though
    (cheese:4577): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

Did opening Cheese with the terminal actually fix it, or should I consider this to be an act of God?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thestraniero View Post
    How come 138 people have seen this, but nobody's got any help to offer? Am I posting in the wrong place or something? Please help!
    Let's try here

Thread moved to General Help.

Beans

It stopped working again for no apparent reason! I didn't do anything at all!! Now the terminal says...

libv4l2: error dequeuing buf: No such device

** (cheese:5070): WARNING **: Failed trying to get video frames from device '/dev/video1'.

** (cheese:5070): WARNING **: Internal data flow error.
    Last edited by thestraniero; February 27th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast