Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Firefox, Hello Chrome? (or Opera?)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Goodbye Firefox, Hello Chrome? (or Opera?)

Firefox has been junk lately. On my windows partitions, the last FF update means that I have no navigation bar. On my Linux partitions FF crashes when I open anything requiring flash, sometimes taking the desktop with it if I don't force quit.

I generally favor FF because of the extensions that are available but I wonder if the pressure to keep pace with Chrome is counter productive in the sense that they are pushing out updates and new versions that are incredibly unstable.

So it's on to Chrome for the moment. Though not as customizable, Chrome is snappier and functions better than FF in a number of ways. Its extensions are coming along I suppose.

But really, what worries me about Chrome is privacy.

At the coffee shop this morning I installed Chrome on my new netbook and then synced it with my Google acct. Chrome's autocomplete was already somehow drawing on information collected about my searches made long ago on other boxes in a galaxy far, far away. That is terrifying.

Opera is looking more and more enticing every day.

Beans

Re: Goodbye Firefox, Hello Chrome? (or Opera?)

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Firefox has been junk lately. On my windows partitions, the last FF update means that I have no navigation bar. On my Linux partitions FF crashes when I open anything requiring flash, sometimes taking the desktop with it if I don't force quit.

I generally favor FF because of the extensions that are available but I wonder if the pressure to keep pace with Chrome is counter productive in the sense that they are pushing out updates and new versions that are incredibly unstable.

So it's on to Chrome for the moment. Though not as customizable, Chrome is snappier and functions better than FF in a number of ways. Its extensions are coming along I suppose.

But really, what worries me about Chrome is privacy.

At the coffee shop this morning I installed Chrome on my new netbook and then synced it with my Google acct. Chrome's autocomplete was already somehow drawing on information collected about my searches made long ago on other boxes in a galaxy far, far away. That is terrifying.

Opera is looking more and more enticing every day.
    What has autocomplete got to do with privacy ?

Did you import data from another browser, do you have autofill turned on, do you store session cookies etc etc

And privacy really relates to your identity, if you tie things to your google acct and choose to give them your real information then the onus of privacy is on you ? IMO anyways, google dont know who i am and i have 10+ google accounts, they can autocomplete all they like

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; February 18th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Im a huge fan of Opera. I started to have all sorts of firefox problems like you and switched to Opera around 3 or 4 months ago. Things are in different places than they are in firefox, so it took a while to get used to it, but I love it. Its quicker than ff and Chrome on both my machines as well.

Beans

I've been using Opera for almost 10 years now (since it had ads).
    I can't imagine using anything else, it's become second nature to me.

Chrome/Chromium is primitive, Firefox is bloat (always IMO).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Iv been using Chromium since the first release.

Best browser out there in my humble opinion.

Beans

I've been using FF for a long time and don't consider switching. The latest versions are quite like chrome when it comes to performance. You can bring back the navigation bar by right clicking on the right of the menus and selecting Navigation bar. You can customize everything. As for flash it's always buggy on linux, idk if chrome handles it any better. Never crashed so badly with me though. I'd recommend flashblock, since at least I myself only use youtube's flash function, everything else I've seen lately in flash is advertisement, and its normal to bloat your browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Youtube has html5 support.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Beans

I too just discovered the small joys of Chromium. Fast, direct. Devs could be more flexible with theming, but I've learned to like the tab-bar-at-the-top thing. No more Firefox for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    What has autocomplete got to do with privacy ?

Did you import data from another browser, do you have autofill turned on, do you store session cookies etc etc

And privacy really relates to your identity, if you tie things to your google acct and choose to give them your real information then the onus of privacy is on you ? IMO anyways, google dont know who i am and i have 10+ google accounts, they can autocomplete all they like
    ^This.

If you don't want to use the features you think are an invasion of your privacy, don't use them. But don't use them then complain about it.

Beans

Hello Firefox!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast