Thread: Installing my first program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Installing my first program

I'm very new to Ubuntu, and I'm trying to compile my first program. To do so, I've been following this guide:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/compile...-ubuntu-linux/

After hours of Googling, I think its finally time to make a thread for some help.

It has been going well, until I get the step when I run ./configure and it checks for all of the necessary packages to compile the program. After running the command, I'm greeted by this:

checking for DEPS... configure: error: Package requirements (
    gconf-2.0 >= 2.18.0,
    libwnck-1.0 >= 2.18.0
    ) were not met:

No package 'libwnck-1.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DEPS_CFLAGS
    and DEPS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

The guide says to search for it by the file name, so run:
    apt-file search libwnck-1.0I'm given a long list of information and files, and I'm unsure what I'm supposed to install, and how. If it helps, I'm trying to install Simdock.

Edit: I'm using Ubuntu 11.04
    Last edited by Nicky1204; February 17th, 2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: left out info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing my first program

Search Synaptic Package Manager for the files you need, install them, and try again to compile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would like some clarification please. You are trying to install simdock by compiling your own program? In your version of Ubuntu, simdock can be found in the synaptic package manager. Open that, put the word "simdock" in the search location, and it will come up in a few seconds. When you find it, just put a tick mark next to it (mark for installation), then continue the install as you would with any other application. Good luck.

Just saw your version correction. Simdock is available through the software center. Install, log out, log back in, and it will be ready to use.
    Last edited by Scott Baker; February 17th, 2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Previous poster provided new (important) version info.
    Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system! Dr Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Baker View Post
    I would like some clarification please. You are trying to install simdock by compiling your own program? In your version of Ubuntu, simdock can be found in the synaptic package manager. Open that, put the word "simdock" in the search location, and it will come up in a few seconds. When you find it, just put a tick mark next to it (mark for installation), then continue the install as you would with any other application. Good luck.
    I was under the impression that the OP was just trying to compile because he wanted to. (which is OK) But who knows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    I was under the impression that the OP was just trying to compile because he wanted to. (which is OK) But who knows.

Yes, you're correct. I just chose this as a program to compile myself because I wanted to, however if I'm unable to I'll just install it through the package manager.