Thread: Just an idea for installation

Beans

Thumbs down Just an idea for installation

Hey all,

I was thinking for the DVD iso, having a optional bundle install included... like a security bundle, video editing, photo editing, developer.

Another idea is having a customization screen that would allow a user to change their desktop during installation and possibly the login screen. Just ideas though.

counter arguements/ agreements... go!
    Last edited by Pirie.ian; February 17th, 2012 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Just an idea for installation

Not a support request; moved to Community Cafe.

If you want the developers to see your suggestion, post it here: brainstorm.ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

See, Ubuntu Studio

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Security bundle? Such as?

Do not forget that as far as Canonical is concerned Unity is Ubuntu. That is why you get two options at log in Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2D if the video driver allows it.

Sure we can install other user interfaces but why would Canonical want to give that option as part of the install of Ubuntu? It would not make sense.

Another point. The download is already too big to fit on a CD discs. We are now having to use DVD discs. Programs like Gimp are left out of the iso image. Just how large do you think the download size would be if everyone's wishes were accommodated?

But Ubuntu is open source so we are free to start our own projects of this type. Hence, iso images for Ubuntu Studio and Edubuntu and others.

Remember, Canonical allows community involvement. Why does Canonical have to do it all?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does just using apt-get install largerhdd count?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Not quite sure what you mean by largerhdd... or do you mean what you are installing it on?

I just posted it on brainstormer... thanks for the suggestion... new to ubuntu's forum web thing... why is there three different places to find things on. X_X makes my head spin a little although they do seem to have their different uses.

Used to the one forum, one wiki idea I guess.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just a joke.

Besides, why bother adding more stuff to an ISO when you can just add it after install?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Well, I am a arch user... so I am used to net installs. I mean, their newer installer CD is pretty neat as once you are connected to the internet, you have the entire repository to install from instead of the CD. They have an annoying way of showing it though as they show every single package. They also have the bundles, you just have to pick them out from the pack. Maybe a nice, package bundle menu that could be installed to the hard drive via the blagosphere with a standard environment on the ISO. That way you have a fresh upgraded OS. Every time that I have clicked the download and install updates button on the installer... it didn't work... probably should put that in the bug reporter though.

The only problem I have had with Arch is that it doesn't install on my big rigs Hard drives. Go figure right. Even though they are supposed to be known as the bleeding edge OS, they cannot update their installer. X_X

Beans

I once did apt-get install largerfunds on my bank account.

It's still downloading the files for that. I sure hope it gets done some day.

Beans

If only it worked that way... life would be easy... alas... development is not... go fig.

Although, we might be able to speed up the installs by le torrenting updates... also possible in arch... and for some reason it is showing me that torrenting isn't a word. That could though bring security risks to it... I read somewhere that it is easier for Man-in-the-middle attacks via torrenting. Could be wrong though. Not familiar with torrenting tech yet.