Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU speed low but temp low as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: CPU speed low but temp low as well

Quote Originally Posted by JumpStarter View Post
    It's not as simple. Yesterday I was running it for hours, even unloading and loading the battery, on the 'Performance on demand' setting of Jupiter, and it was fine scaling up the CPU clock. Then at one point, while I was using the same applications as before, the problem described above occurred again and stayed like that until I shut the computer down. It may be a mixture of several issues. Until I find out what causes it, my strategy will be to limit heat generation to avoid it occurring.
    So I'm guessing you're going to buy some sort of cooler then?

Beans

No. This is a 13", 17mm thick chassis, I don't think there's a lot of space for extra stuff. I will just try to close all applications that are not necessary and switch to energy saving profile before the temp gets too high. And hope that in 12.04, things may improve...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JumpStarter View Post
    No. This is a 13", 17mm thick chassis, I don't think there's a lot of space for extra stuff. I will just try to close all applications that are not necessary and switch to energy saving profile before the temp gets too high. And hope that in 12.04, things may improve...
    Pity. Well, at least keep some liquid Nitrogen handy will ya?
    But wait... 13" you say? 17mm chassis? That sounds like a small laptop. Almost netbook even. Are you sure you should have crammed so many specs in a laptop that size? Maybe that's why it's overheating...

Beans

Positive. Plus a DVD burner and a 1600x900 display, That's why I wanted this little piece of metal, fine stats in a really handy form. And yeah, I guess they were pushing it with the thermal design, that's also what I read in some reviews.

Beans

Problem solved:
    I thought I had switched off the dedicated graphics card of my hybrid setup. What I had done, following this enty: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1752202.html, was to use vgaswitcheroo to switch the inactive card off, and blacklist the radeon driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. That did not work. I think the reason was that when radeon is blacklisted, there was no vgaswitcheroo, and so no powering off. NOT blacklisting radeon solved the problem.

Now the laptop uses 16W instead of 32W, the temperature is down to 57'C idle, and I'm happy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12