Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I use Arch to gain experience?

Beans

Re: Should I use Arch to gain experience?

Like buying a Lego set pre-assembled, or a make-your-own-sundae made by somebody else.

Beans

^Indeed indeed. However, Linux in general can be "made your own" anyway, perhaps just not with the same ridiculous amount of flexibility as Arch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a observation, I hear about people going to Arch because they think they can learn so much more. But can you really say you know everything about the Linux Distribution your running ? I would suggest keep your current distribution and use VM's to play. Learn your current system then if you want move on. Choose a distribution that you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you really wish to experience Arch, best way is the wonderful Arch based spin called Chakra, its Arch and KDE done right with rolling release. The forum and devs are very helpful as well.

Beans

I installed Arch on my computer a month ago.

Just going through the install process will teach you quite a bit about the internals of a Linux system. While it's true that you can learn all this stuff from Ubuntu, you are not forced to deal with any of this when using the normal install CDs. Installing arch lets you confront all this stuff in a goal-directed way, while getting your system up and running.

Is the end result somehow better than a Ubuntu install? I don't really think so. Compiling stuff via PKGBUILDs on Arch is very easy, but that's comes with the tradeoff of not being able to just click and install .debs. Maybe it boots a bit faster than Kubuntu did and uses a little less RAM, but that's not worth all the time spent IMO. The insight gained was the real prize.

It has been and is a good learning experience for me, but I'd probably just stuck with installing Ubuntu when working on other people's computers.

If you are interested and have another computer to read the Arch wiki with while installing (very important!), take the plunge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123