Thread: Monitoring bandwidth

Beans

Monitoring bandwidth

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a bandwidth monitor (preferably with a PHP front end)? I've Googled around and there seems to be quite an array of tools available for the job but can anyone suggest one they have used and like?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Monitoring bandwidth

I use vnstat, and have it display through conky on my desktop. It is versatile and very useful to me though not php.

Here's a screenshot of what it shows for me using the following in my .conkyrc file.
    Code:
    # To make vnstat run as user use command "sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/vnstat"
    #
                DOWN:                    $alignr UP:        
    ${color #56073D}Today: ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat | grep "today" | awk '{print $2 $3}'}${color #56073D}${alignr}Today: ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat | grep "today" | awk '{print $5 $6}'}
    ${color #56073D}Week:  ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat -w | grep "current week" | awk '{print $3 $4}'}${color #56073D}${alignr}Week:  ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat -w | grep "current week" | awk '{print $6 $7}'}
    ${color #56073D}Month: ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat -m | grep "`date +"%b '%y"`" | awk '{print $3 $4}'}${color #56073D}${alignr}Month: ${color #DE0084}${execi 300 vnstat -m | grep "`date +"%b '%y"`" | awk '{print $6 $7}'}
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 15th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would recommend that if you are going to monitor servers you should learn Nagios.

It can be difficult to get started but once you understand how the configuration works it is easy to then add new hosts and services, configure all aspects of reporting and alerts. It is well regarded by SysAdmins so learning it is not going to be a wasted effort if you are in that field.

There is a simple quick start guide at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3...rt-ubuntu.html which is a good place to start.

Although the front end isn't PHP, it does provide a web interface.
    Richard Holloway
    PHP Developer and System Administrator
    http://richardjh.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry. It is late and I am sleepy. Whilst Nagios is great and all, I am thinking of the wrong thing.

I use MRTG to graph resources.
    Richard Holloway
    PHP Developer and System Administrator
    http://richardjh.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If we're talking one machine, Webmin does the trick. In the options you can tell it to monitor bandwidth of which gives you a nice ingress/degress bar of bandwidth consumed. If you're talking multi-machine portal of bandwidth, MRTG for sure.

Beans
    Hidden!

excepted the php binding, dstat is a perfect tool for monitoring network bandwith