Thread: wireless printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

wireless printer

Hi guys
    I'm due to buy a new printer.
    I would appreciate if any of you would provide some guidance.
    The preferred features of the new printer shall be:
    Laser
    wireless
    easy to set up with ubuntu
    able to print form windows xp running in VM virtual box
    many thanks for your help
    Sokol
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Paddy

Beans

Re: wireless printer

Have a look here for compatible printers with linux:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers

I don't know about "easy to set up." I suppose that depends on your perspective. I'm pretty new myself and was able to network my all-in-one printer/scanner in Ubuntu & Windows. Will this printer be networked or for one machine? Is it going to be a printer/scanner/fax?

When you find a few candidates, I recommend you research the software for that printer if you're planning to use the scan function. For instance I've got an HP and I had to install HPLIP Toolbox to use the scanner.

In regards to virtualbox, I haven't tried that. However, I imagine that printing from virtualbox has more to do with configuring virtualbox than it does with the kind of printer you have.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: wireless printer

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    In regards to virtualbox, I haven't tried that. However, I imagine that printing from virtualbox has more to do with configuring virtualbox than it does with the kind of printer you have.
    Also, a VM will only be able to access a printer that will work with the host OS. So if Linux is your host, you can't use a printer that won't work with Linux even if you're running XP in the VM.

But my experience is that HP works well with Linux. I have an HP wireless printer that was extremely easy to set up in Ubuntu's printer preferences. The wireless worked perfectly without tweaking. The only negative thing is that I have to plug it in to scan, but in Windows, I can scan wirelessly. But I'm happy with that. I remember the days when I was trying to use a Lexmark in Linux, and even after days of headaches trying to get it to work, I never got the scanner to work at all.

But my HP printer isn't a laser printer, so it's not what you're looking for. But HP generally has some of the best Linux support for printers.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss