Thread: Ubuntu - Postfix Sending mail times out

Beans

Ubuntu - Postfix Sending mail times out

Hi all,

Im running a LAMP server, downloaded as VMWare appliance and created a website to run on my server.

When trying to send a mail fromout my website I receive time outs in my /var/log/syslog file.

The php script does returns a true value from sending the mail.. so no scripting error.

I am running multiple websites, but actually using one, and when sending mail I see this error in my syslog:

Feb 15 07:54:58 lamp postfix/smtp[23905]: DE0BE2161D: to=<mail@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=742, delays=637/0.01/105/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.225.27]:25: Connection timed out)

im not really sure where to start debugging.

My network connection is just fine, my website is running and available online. So It shouldnt be a network issue.

One thing: I don't have port 25 open on my router TOWARDS my webserver, but I don't want to receive any mails.. I just want to send them.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu - Postfix Sending mail times out

Many ISPs block outbound SMTP transactions to keep infected computers on their networks from sending spam. You need to talk with them about their policies. (If you're on a residential connection, even running your webserver might violate your terms-of-service; most residential connections prohibit servers.)

Your ISP might have an SMTP relay host you can use for outbound mail.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu - Postfix Sending mail times out

Hi SeijiSensei,

I think that could be the case indeed.
    My ISP does have a relay server, but I prefer to skip the relay server of my provider and just send the mail myself. If gmail e.g. blocks residiential adresses... that would make sense.

One other thought I have, is not having a PTR record online for my mail server. Unfortunately since I'm not the owner of my IP address, I can't create that one.

I will try and test using the relay server.

To prevent my server sending a 500 mails a second (ISP thinks that is Spam).. is there a way to limit my postfix to send only x-mails a minute ?? Or is there a way to see how many mails are waiting in the queue?? If I can't limit the send-mails, then I can always cleanup the queues .

Thnx!