Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speedfan for linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: speedfan for linux

Your last paragraph is internally inconsistent and contradictory, bob.

Set minimum fan speed in BIOS, set BIOS to control fan speed based on temperature, set BIOS to throttle CPU cores when not under load. Your fans will not run at full gallop all the time. Most boards have system fan headers and the BIOS can be set to change fan speed on them as well.

Most modern boards allow all of that and they do it in milliseconds - so when you ho to get a Mountain Dew out of the fridge and your CPU load spikes, you don't come back to a flaming machine.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Your last paragraph is internally inconsistent and contradictory, bob.

Set minimum fan speed in BIOS, set BIOS to control fan speed based on temperature, set BIOS to throttle CPU cores when not under load. Your fans will not run at full gallop all the time. Most boards have system fan headers and the BIOS can be set to change fan speed on them as well.

Most modern boards allow all of that and they do it in milliseconds - so when you ho to get a Mountain Dew out of the fridge and your CPU load spikes, you don't come back to a flaming machine.
    That is what I thought I said. BASE speed being the minimum fan speed (a place to start).The BIOS controls (increases and decreases) fan speed as needed based on temperature. And yes if I set the CPU fan speed to 100% it will run full gallup as you say no matter what the temperature.
    P.S. I also hate Mountain Dew LOL
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Since the OP was about software control of fans and your last sentence seemed to say you wanted same, I may have misread your intent.

User intervention in a process that a modern motherboard offers is, in my opinion, a dangerous game.

I do use bay mounted fan controllers on a couple of machines, but their intent is to force 100% fan speeds when I run things like Folding or Rosetta unattended.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thank you Ms Daisy.Installing XSensor solved my problem. Very nice display and easy to open the display

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12