Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Beans

Re: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Hey guys, I know theres being various posts about GUIs for moblock but none of them really seemed to appear, so Ive made a basic one for gnome using mono.
    See what you think, the only thing in it that doesnt work at the moment is showing how many Ips are being blocked, I couldnt figure out how to do this, if anyone knows can they please let me know!

Ive included a readme on how to run it, anyway see what you think!
    Last edited by brk3; June 3rd, 2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: see below for newer version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

the gui looks good (or at least a promising start)
    i dont like that it has to be run as root though. wouldnt it be better to run as regular user and then prompt for password when the user clicks a button that performs a taks that requires root privileges?

also u forgot to tell alltray to use the M logo u made
    hardy 64 bit

Beans

Thanks for the input! Have added your suggestions, found out how to display the number of ips being blocked and added a couple of other fixes.
    Give it a go!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by brk3; June 2nd, 2007 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

from everything i have looked at there is one thing I still don't see I can do with MoBlock

How can I have multiple blocklists instead of just guarding.p2p?

Beans

Really good job.
    But :
    - often we must restart firehol for stopping really moblock : one proposition : because Firehol is working with Moblock maybe ur gui could give access to the firewall too with root access to modify anything
    - often we would update or whitelist : maybe link access could exist on panel...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yano View Post
    from everything i have looked at there is one thing I still don't see I can do with MoBlock

How can I have multiple blocklists instead of just guarding.p2p?
    I think you just pass them in as parameters when starting moblock. I reckon I could implement a block list manager do you know where to find other blocklists?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

the new version of the gui is looking very good. thanks for implementing my suggestions

dont know how advanced u intend to make this gui but if ur planning to carry on improving it i would suggest a native non-alltray tray icon, maybe with some functionality liek showing different icons when enable and disabled etc

great job

edit:ive noticed mono an MoBlockGUI.exe stays in memory some times when u close it by rclicking the tray icon
    Last edited by jamesford; June 3rd, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
    hardy 64 bit

Beans

good idea, will look into it, alltray just seemed the quickest solution but im sure its not hard to program it.
    ive stuck it on gnomefiles might be easier to keep track of it than forum posts: http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/MoBlockGUI

edit: noticed that too, shall be fixed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ive also noticed another thing, i dont know if its jut me who doesent know how to do things but ive made myself a launcher for the gui and it wont launch unless i edit startMoBlockGUI.sh and add a line at the top saying cd /path/to/moblockgui-dir

oh and u should hold a icon/logo design contest!
    Last edited by jamesford; June 3rd, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    hardy 64 bit

Beans

That GUI is very cool, although it involved a bit more than just installing mono and alltray. All I want now is a program that can run on clients to view the same information, as the computer running moblock just acts as a server...

But still it's a nice addition. The enable/disable button just seems to crash it but other than that it's good.

Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast