Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1196

Thread: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Beans

Re: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Quote Originally Posted by mike.berggren View Post
    I want a deeper understanding of how Moblock works... is there any documentation (ERDs, flowcharts, etc) that show how the process works?
    Documentation is in /usr/share/doc/moblock/
    Also have a look at the homepages moblock.berlios.de and moblock-deb.sf.net.
    There are no graphics etc., yet. But I might do one once to explain the iptables rules.
    Ask when you have questions.

Btw, is moblock multi-threaded? I would assume so but thought I'd check anyway...
    No idea, I'm not a programmer. Mobloquer 0.5 is.

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    The files have it set to 1 in the /etc/init.d/moblock file and in /etc/moblock/moblock.conf. I have not touched either of them.

Which one takes priority.
    They are loaded in the following order, so the last overwrites previous ones:
    /etc/init.d/moblock
    /etc/moblock/moblock.conf
    /etc/default/moblock
    Last edited by jre; April 29th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Hello

I tried to install MoBlock 0.9 (Latest version of the Ubuntu Gutsy repository). From what I read in this thread it should work with Firestarter.

I have a LAN and the computers access the internet through the gateway that is running MoBlock. I White-listed the ports and the ip range of the LAN as suggested in these posts and configuration documentation. Masquerading and DHCP is activated by Firestarter running in the same gateway cmputer.

Now, when I activte Firestarter first (MoBlock off) the LAN computers are able to browse the internet. As soon as I activate MoBlock all internet access stops for the LAN computers, but not for the gateway that still can see the internet.

Help please. How can I restore internet access to the LAN computers with MoBlock on ????!!!! This should not be the nightmare it looks like, since this setup should be fairly common.

Cheers

AP

Beans

Question Re: Moblock (peerguardian linux alternative)

Hello,

I'm trying to build moblock myself on Hardy 64-bit and I get the following error message, I hope someone can help me out,

Code:
    bboxone@bboxone:~$ mkdir moblock
    bboxone@bboxone:~$ cd moblock/
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock$ sudo apt-get build-dep moblock
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock$ sudo apt-get source moblock
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    NOTICE: 'moblock' packaging is maintained in the 'Svn' version control system at:
    https://moblock-deb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/moblock-deb/moblock/
    Need to get 63.1kB of source archives.
    Get:1 http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net hardy/main moblock 0.9~rc2-10+hardy+i386 (dsc) [889B]
    Get:2 http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net hardy/main moblock 0.9~rc2-10+hardy+i386 (tar) [21.8kB]
    Get:3 http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net hardy/main moblock 0.9~rc2-10+hardy+i386 (diff) [40.4kB]
    Fetched 63.1kB in 2s (27.8kB/s)                                
    dpkg-source: extracting moblock in moblock-0.9~rc2
    dpkg-source: unpacking moblock_0.9~rc2.orig.tar.gz
    dpkg-source: applying ./moblock_0.9~rc2-10+hardy+i386.diff.gz
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock$ cd moblock-0.9~rc2/
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock/moblock-0.9~rc2$ sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value: 
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
    dpkg-buildpackage: source package moblock
    dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.9~rc2-10+hardy+i386
    dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by jre <jre-phoenix@users.sourceforge.net>
    dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
     fakeroot debian/rules clean
    Can't exec "fakeroot": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage line 477.
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean failed with unknown exit code -1
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock/moblock-0.9~rc2$
    R.

Beans

Some more questions:

- What's the size threshold for logs (moblock.log moblock-control.log) to roll over? Is that definable? If so, where can I modify this?

Could I get clarification on how blocklist data is handled? Its my understanding that after the various blocklists are downloaded, moblock sifts through the data for duplicates and then stores the ranges... where? In a flat file? In memory?

Thanks,

MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    They are loaded in the following order, so the last overwrites previous ones:
    /etc/init.d/moblock
    /etc/moblock/moblock.conf
    /etc/default/moblock
    Thanks that solved the issue. What's the deal with 3 conf files?

Beans

I second this.

Why are there three configuration files and which one should we be modifying?

-MB
    Last edited by mike.berggren; May 4th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i give up trying to instal moblock, i use this one instead

https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=198679

im using 8.04 so i just d/l the deb file and let it install restarted pc, it did the updates and im off and running.piece of cake
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dnoiz View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to build moblock myself on Hardy 64-bit and I get the following error message, I hope someone can help me out,

Code:
     fakeroot debian/rules clean
    Can't exec "fakeroot": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage line 477.
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean failed with unknown exit code -1
    bboxone@bboxone:~/moblock/moblock-0.9~rc2$
    R.
    Install the package "fakeroot"

- What's the size threshold for logs (moblock.log moblock-control.log) to roll over? Is that definable? If so, where can I modify this?
    It's done by "logrotate". But not after size just in daily interrvals. Configuration is done in /etc/logrotate.d/. Have a look at the logrotate documentation to learn if it is possible to consider file size.

Could I get clarification on how blocklist data is handled? Its my understanding that after the various blocklists are downloaded, moblock sifts through the data for duplicates and then stores the ranges... where? In a flat file? In memory?
    The lists are downloaded to /var/spool/moblock/.
    If the download succeeded they are copied to /var/spool/moblock/used
    Then these lists are unpacked and cat'ted together to one list.
    Optional: If you use the configuration "IP_REMOVE" now some lines are grep'ped out.
    The resulting list is copied to /etc/moblock/guarding.p2p (in case you are using the peerguardian v2 text format blocklists (current default)).
    Until now that was all done by the bash script moblock-control. Note that this master blocklist contains duplicates.
    If you now start the moblock daemon this file gets loaded. During this loading ranges get merged and duplicates get sorted out. For more details you have to take a look on the source code or ask the upstream author Morpheus (moblock.berlios.de).
    Short answer: file on harddisk does contain duplicates, ranges in memory are already merged.

/etc/init.d/moblock: This is more a script then a conf file. Normally users should not edit it. It's only a conf file from the technical side (Debian packaging). I added every conf variable there, too, because some users deleted their real conf files which resulted in broken packages.

[BTW: /usr/bin/moblock-control also includes all configuration variables (conf file no. 4). It gets executed by the init script. But users should just keep their hands off this file )

/etc/moblock/moblock.conf: This is the main configuration file which does list all possible configuration variables and comments which explain them. It does not include any source. So it's also a kind of documentation file

/etc/default/moblock: Here you can insert all your configuration. Yes, short answer: Use this file! I added this file because the big moblock.conf does change frequently. Now if you did edit moblock.conf and make a package update your packaging software (aptitude/synaptic/...) will ask you whether you want to keep your changes or install the new version. The best to do would be to take the new version (e.g. bringing in new features) and to integrate your own changes to this new file. Unfortunately this is time consuming.
    Therefore many users just kept their old moblock.conf.
    This is the second reason why I had to make default entries in every script (init.d and moblock-control, see above).
    Further to make automatic package updates easier I added the /etc/default/moblock file which does allow to keep user changes seperate from the main configuration bulk. Since the /etc/default/moblock file never gets changed in the packages (it only contains a short explanation) you will never be asked if you want to keep your changes or install my new version.

Greets
    jre - who is astonished why he did write so much. Everybody feel free to add this stuff to the wiki (see post #1 in this thread).
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apamatos View Post
    Now, when I activte Firestarter first (MoBlock off) the LAN computers are able to browse the internet. As soon as I activate MoBlock all internet access stops for the LAN computers, but not for the gateway that still can see the internet.

Help please. How can I restore internet access to the LAN computers with MoBlock on ????!!!! This should not be the nightmare it looks like, since this setup should be fairly common.

Cheers

AP
    When you do the whitelisting also edit the _FORWARD entries (not only _IN and _OUT)
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by quixotic-cynic View Post
    You are probably better off stopping moblock + p2p apps when using your ftp app - there is no guarantee which IPs godaddy will use for anti-p2p stuff.

If godaddy inc is in the level2 blocklist it is safer to remove than if it is in the level1 blocklist (which you should never remove items from).

The blocklists come from bluetack.co.uk so they may be able to provide additional help.
    Thanks for the input, since i don't like removing ip's from blocklists i'll do just that and stop all p2p apps when utilizing ftp.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast