Thread: Any way to fix bad sectors?

Beans

Any way to fix bad sectors?

My 1TB drive seems to be failing on me. It is reporting bad sectors, and causing me headaches. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I just need to get what data I can off the drive, ASAP?

Beans

Re: Any way to fix bad sectors?

By definition a bad sector is a sector on a computer's disk drive or flash memory that cannot be used due to permanent damage however there are a few things you can try however it would be recommended you back up your drive immediately and get into the habit of doing this regularly. You can use the FSCHK command to identity errors on the drive and post the output here so someone can provide you more insight on your situation. Additionally you can run*badblocks*and save the bad sectors to a file; then use*mkfs*to make sure the filesystem won't use those sectors.

Beans

Always best to get the DATA off of a drive that starts to show bad sectors IMHO

photos .... code .... etc .....

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki

( See above - it will let you know if it gets any worse .... mine is working but I almost left it too late to recover a lot of photos and Blender work that I did on mine - it keeps reporting more and more bad sectors .... not sure whats caused it ..... wear and tear possibly )

Best safe than sorry .... and drives are relatively cheap compared to the hours of work that could go missing ...... they always say to back up regular .... the bigger the drives get seems we still manage to fill them.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post

Drexel U. states that this is for ext 2 & 3 file systems. We are running ext 4

Beans

Bad sectors on hard drive spread eventually. Any hard drive with bad sectors is unreliable and on its way to being useless. Get all the data of the hard drive you value and then destroy the drive.
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 64-bit, 32-bit Linux Mint 13
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
    Memory: Super Talent PC3-12800 4 gigabytes
    Processor: Phenom II 945 Quad-Core (3.0 gigahertz)

Beans

I've been trying to copy the data off. But it keeps failing to do so. If I do a complete copy, the computer will eventually freeze altogether.

Is there another way around this, that will successfully copy the data? Or am I just screwed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A bit more info would be helpful. Is this an internal or external USB and what formatting and partitions have you got?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I've been trying to copy the data off. But it keeps failing to do so. If I do a complete copy, the computer will eventually freeze altogether.

Is there another way around this, that will successfully copy the data? Or am I just screwed?
    Possibly screwed, possibly not. You could try using dd_rescue to mirror the drive (or copy the results to an image), or just keep trying to grab individual bits of data as you are.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    A bit more info would be helpful. Is this an internal or external USB and what formatting and partitions have you got?
    Internal, ext4, partitions for windows(that I don't actually use anymore), ubuntu, and /home.