Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi problems after attempted configuration of Netgear g54/n150 USB adapter

Beans

Red face Wifi problems after attempted configuration of Netgear g54/n150 USB adapter

Hello forum,

I recently tried to install drivers for the Netgear g54/n150 usb adapter, and not only did it fail but I seem to have removed/corrupted some general wireless interface configuration settings. As of now, KDE does not show any wireless capabilities (ethernet only). help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wifi problems after attempted configuration of Netgear g54/n150 USB adapter

Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    Why did you decide to install this from compat-wireless since it is already installed by default? What didn't work as expected?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

lsusb shows device is detected:
    Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0846:9041 NetGear, Inc.

modprobe... :
    zev@zev-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y530:~/Downloads$ sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    [sudo] password for zev:
    WARNING: Error inserting rtlwifi (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting rtl8192c_common (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192c/rtl8192c-common.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting rtl8192cu (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I tried to reinstall the drivers because NetworkManager showed the device but failed to actually connect to any wifi network. I thought that there might be some driver issue, and saw other forums that suggested trying compat.
    Last edited by ams1888; February 16th, 2012 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interestingly enough I just solved this issue from advice on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by qkslvrwolf View Post
    Ok, so just in case anyone comes after me. I was never able to get this working with the open source drivers. However, I was able to get it working very well with Realtek's proprietary(?) drivers. (You still have to make/make install them, so they're give you code...maybe they're not proprietary? Whatever, their install script works really well.)

Anyone, I went to this link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...oads=true#2772

Grabbed the 8192cu linux driver zip, unzipped it, and just ran

Code:
    chmod +x install.sh
    sudo ./install.sh
    from the directory that was created when I unzipped it, and voila! I have a working usb wireless nic.

Ironic, too, considering I spent about 3 hours trying to get the compat stuff to work.

Beans
    Distro

rtl8192cu is certainly correct for your device. You'll need to uninstall compat first to get your wireless system going correctly:
    Code:
    cd Downloads/compat_directory   <--wherever you extracted the files
    sudo su
    make uninstall
    exit
    Now can you modprobe the old in-kernel rtl8192cu correctly?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    Are there any clues as to why it doesn't connect here?
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e etwork -e 819 | tail -n20
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

uninstalled compat, then ran:
    Code:
    zev@zev-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y530:~$ sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    WARNING: Error inserting rtlwifi (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko): Invalid argument
    WARNING: Error inserting rtl8192c_common (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192c/rtl8192c-common.ko): Invalid argument
    FATAL: Error inserting rtl8192cu (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.ko): Invalid argument

sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e etwork -e 819 | tail -n20
    returns nothing
    Last edited by ams1888; February 16th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can you temporarily get a wired ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-`uname -r`
    Those tickmarks are on the left side of my US keyboard on the same key with ~.

Reboot and try again:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu

Beans

Wifi works now!

modprobe rtl8192cu returns nothing.

interestingly, the device now only manages to connect to a network when i unplug and replug it. If i connect/disconnect using network manager it fails. If this doesn't suggest some worrisome underlying problem, I can live with it, and let you get back to being one of the most helpful linux forum members I've ever seen!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

If i connect/disconnect using network manager it fails.
    Meaning what? It tries and asks for your WPA2 password and times out...or...what?

Thanks for your kind comments. I appreciate it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matbluvenger View Post
    Interestingly enough I just solved this issue from advice on another thread.
    Hey thanks for the heads up on Realtek Linux drivers. After many hours fighting drivers trying to get my Gigabyte PCI card to work, this pointed me in the right direction. Just downloaded the script for my particular chipset (RTL8168B) followed the directions in their readme file and viola! Works great. Very much a newbie using Ubuntu 12.10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast