Thread: Recovery mode issue

Beans

Recovery mode issue

BACKSTORY: Okay, in Ubuntu 10.10, I was screwing around with CompizConfig because I'm a graphics ***** and I like transparency. Somehow I managed to make every single thing 100% transparent, meaning I couldn't see anything to make it un-transparent again, so I restarted and used Recovery Mode to boot up with just basic graphics.

Only now that I've fixed the Compiz problem, I can't get back to the previous graphics settings I had. Which isn't really a huge, world-ending issue, but it's still bothering me. Mainly the thing that's bothering me is being unable to switch my ~desktop environment~ from "No visual effects" back to "Normal visual effects". Also anything that's supposed to be partly transparent (libnotify popups, etc.) doesn't display properly either. And yes, I've turned the system off and back on, booted up in normal (non-recovery) mode, and it's persisted.

Wat do

Beans

Re: Recovery mode issue

Still haven't solved this, for the record. I've been stuck with "No effects" on my "desktop environment", which while not a pressing matter is rather annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi tetrisalphabet,

I would like to ask you...

Have you tried to install and use "Simple Compizconfig Settings Manager" (its package name is 'simple-ccsm') on your 10.10 machine?

Beans

I just tried that and it doesn't seem to be a solution. When I try opening the program, the command line spits this out at me:

Code:
    /usr/bin/simple-ccsm:40: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
      Tooltips = gtk.Tooltips()
    /usr/bin/simple-ccsm:182: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
      Tooltips = gtk.Tooltips()
    libccs: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/simple-ccsm:415: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
      Tooltips.set_tip(self, _("Disabled"))
    /usr/bin/simple-ccsm:412: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
      Tooltips.set_tip(self, _("Enabled"))
    And the process freezes up and I have to kill it.

I don't know if the CompizConfig thing is really the issue? I mentioned it for backstory as to how I got into this situation, but I think what's happening is the computer thinks it should be in recovery mode and I can't make it not be anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I would reinstall the graphics driver and reset compiz.

Here is a link for resetting compiz.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/36163...fault-settings
    Thanks

Beans

Here's where I admit I'm a complete moron, but how do I reinstall the graphics driver?

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Depending on what you have there are a couple of links here for Radeon ATI drivers and for Nvidia drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Hope this helps.