Thread: Force Screen Resolution Change

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Force Screen Resolution Change

I have an Acer Aspire One 722 and to my chagrin I installed Lucid unknowingly destroying the hidden windows partition PQSERVICE (no I will not pay Acer another dime for Microsoft). So now I guess I am stuck with the unsupported ATI 9807 in and Lucid 64 bit. Well the screen resolution is stuck at 800x600 4:3 and it looks terrible.

Open to any ideas to make this a better experience.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Force Screen Resolution Change

Also this isn't just about cosmetics. The problem makes it difficult to see web pages and gui program windows as they are larger than the screen. Sometimes I can't even resize program windows to see all their content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry to hear about your problem. Don't you have the original factory-installation disks for Windows?

Open Additional Drivers while connected to the Internet and see if it finds anything (it should search automatically). If it finds something, you may need to enable the driver and reboot.

If it does not help, try creating a Live CD of the newest version (11.10). See if it is able to recognise your resolution. If so, you may want to back up all your data and do a fresh installation of 11.10.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you friend for your response and your sympathy.

This computer didn't come with backup disks perhaps because they think the hidden partition is all you need to restore your system. The only option I am aware of (using Windows) would be to donate another $20 to Microsoft via Acer then buy an external cd/dvd rom and reinstall Windows 7 that way.

Could you expound your thought:
    "Open Additional Drivers while connected to the Internet and see if it finds anything (it should search automatically). If it finds something, you may need to enable the driver and reboot."

I am not exactly sure how to do this.

But I do think if all else fails the newer Ubuntu is a very good idea or perhaps another distro that might better support this computer.

This is an Acer Aspire One 722 netbook. It is a little better than some of the other netbooks (at least in the world of Windows) as it has a dual core 64 bit and HD ATI 9807 graphics card. But knowing I would probably test Linux on it I should have avoided the ATI (because I just can't keep myself from using Linux when I get frustrated with performance and security of the alternative).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay I think I got it figured out. I was looking around on Kubuntu and saw a list of different things that 10.04 supported and what 11.10 supports. 10.04 doesn't support netbooks but 11.10 does. So I installed Kubuntu 11.10 and the resolution is where it should be. Thank you for your assistance in pointing this out to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good, I'm glad you managed to solve the problem.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I think I have settled on Ubuntu 11.10 as it seems more stable for me with this computer. Again thank you.