Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Series 5 ULTRA NP530U3B

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Samsung Series 5 ULTRA NP530U3B

Hi guys!

I bought an NP530U3B (13"). Samsung can not recnognize my USB CD/DVD writer. I can not install Ubuntu.

May you please help?
    "Software is like Sex. It's better when it's Free!", Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Samsung Series 5 ULTRA NP530U3B

Hello guys!

Before starting a new Thread concerning the installation of Ubuntu on the Samsung NP530U3B, can somebody help me how to do it?

The problem is BIOS Boot options are:

1. USB FDD
    2. USB CD
    3. USB HDD
    4. SATA CD
    5. SATA HDD: Hitachi...
    6. NETWORK

I have tried with a USB CD WRITER without success. And I have tried with a TOSHIBA FLASH USB Pen with UNetbootin install without success either. I'm afraid I can't boot Ubuntu or any other Boot Option other than HD on the notebook with Windows 7 on it. I can't understand how come the boot loader don't recognize the alternative boot options (USC CD-Writer and/or USB Flash Disk).

I don't want this OS. So, before I return this recent bought Notebook and chose another one (HP, ASUS, etc), can somebody tell me how to solve this "mystery"?

Beans

have you tried to turn off the "Fast Boot" option in the BIOS?

Beans

ok let me tell you new thing that happend with my NP530u3b. i have the issue that suspend,reboot and shutdown are not working anymore. when i shutdowm it shows:
    will halt now
    [time] power down.

and nothing more happend i have to shut it complety down with the powerbutton pressing long time.

also if i enter the bios and save and exit the laptop was going off and not as aspected rebooting, strange!

ive treid everything (acpi=force,liveusb stick,and so on....)

iam running the latest BIOS 09XK updated with a windows7PE stick maybe i think this the point that bricks the maschine

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Samsung Series 5 ULTRA NP530U3B

@ stlehmann..

Thanks!

I've found out a couple of days ago. I forgot to REPLY to this message reporting "Problem Solved".

I went in contact with Portuguese Samsung and after sales department. Whether they give me a solution or I would return the Laptop. Problem solved!

For others with the same problem. It's as simple as that but before you know how to solve it is a big problem.

On BIOS -> FAST BOOT SAFE -> DISABLE

Thanks again Stlehmann.

Beans

Dear all:
    I bought the 14 inch one (I think code is NP530U4B), kernel 3.2.0-29, ubuntu 12.04, x64

In general it works ok but I am very concerned with the battery issue.
    I have changed the kernel options according to the previous posts:

Code:
    linux    /vmlinuz-3.2.0-29-generic root=UUID=1e849ec5-41a6-4d79-b100-fba9b45b6351 ro   pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_en
    able_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
    However, I have not noticed any improvement.
    Code:
    $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1  | grep rate
        energy-rate:         33.8106 W
    The computer is hot, the fan is very active.

Other problems:

• When I (dis)connect the power cord, there is no change in the battery icon. Now I am working with the battery but the icon is power, and when I click it says "35 min. to charge!".
    • I cannot change the bright of the screen. It is at the max. The fn-F2 show the icon but do not decrease. In Brightness settings I can move the slider but no effect.

Thank you for any help! I am very worried with the battery life at current state.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harakiri1976 View Post
    @ stlehmann..

Thanks!

I've found out a couple of days ago. I forgot to REPLY to this message reporting "Problem Solved".

I went in contact with Portuguese Samsung and after sales department. Whether they give me a solution or I would return the Laptop. Problem solved!

For others with the same problem. It's as simple as that but before you know how to solve it is a big problem.

On BIOS -> FAST BOOT SAFE -> DISABLE

Thanks again Stlehmann.
    Hi harakiri,
    I believe you simply got it wrong, but please confirm this to me:
    you meant "fast BIOS mode" and not "fast boot safe" right?

because I'm having a lot of trouble getting this laptop to boot from USB, but I don't have a "fast boot safe" option in BIOS. Could we have different BIOS firmware? and disabling "fast BIOS mode" doesn't work either, thats why I need to confirm this.

cumprimentos de Lisboa!

Beans
    Distro

Hi Miesogeno!

Yes! I'm sorry. Wrong typing. It is in fact:

Fast BIOS Mode

Thanks for your question.

Disabling it and also changing your Boot Options Priority to first Boot by USB I am sure you will succeed. Are you sure you have done both? Be sure of that. And be sure you're using a USB Ubuntu ISO.

Cumprimentos do Porto

Beans

Yes, I had done that before, but I later found your "Fast boot mode" option (yes, you saw it somewhere ) in the Windows program "Samsung Settings" (or something like that).
    This program actually changes the BIOS! or at least some of the laptop's core functions.

For instance, I have set it to only allow 80% battery charge to extend battery life, and when I boot on Ubuntu (Elementary, actually), where I found no such option, it only charges to 80%. So, there's more interesting stuff for me to check in there, although its a shame this it will prevent me from totally removing Windows.

Obrigado Harakiri!

Apart from that, can anyone here suspend the laptop just by closing the lid? I read somewhere it was a kernel bug (ACPI related), but I could really use this feature.

Beans

Question Re: Samsung Series 5 ULTRA NP530U3B

Has anyone tried Ubuntu 12.10 on this laptop? Is suspend working? Are heating problems gone? How is battery life?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast