Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What would you like to see in a Linux office suite or word processor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What would you like to see in a Linux office suite or word processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    What would you like to see in an office suite or word processor for Linux, or any platform? What are your absolute-must-have features, what would be nice, and what's the "clutter" you'd rather see left out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    This thread is long overdue! There is a serious lack in Libreoffice that has made me contemplating buying a copy of MS Word. In MS Word you've had grammar check for ages. I think it must have been around since Word 97. Fifteen years later, there is still no grammar check in OO/LO. Although the grammar check isn't perfect even in word, it is immensely useful for those of us who aren't native English speakers. I guess discussion of the UI is in its place, but if I finally end up getting a copy of MS Word, it has nothing to do with its UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Yeah, that's a real consideration, and there are some common problems for even native speakers that grammar checks can help to avert. But especially, as you say, for English as a second language, I see your meaning. MS Word's ability to parse sentence structure is fairly limited, and it gives a lot of wrong suggestions, but it can prevent a lot of commonly confused words and the like.

It's interesting - grammar check actually debuted in Abiword, but it's only available for LO as a couple of very incomplete extensions. I really wonder why that's the case.
    =D>

Happy days!! This is exciting:

LibreOffice 3.5 released, introduces new grammar tool

"One of the major new features introduced in LibreOffice 3.5 is a new grammar checking tool. The feature is built with Lightproof, a language-neutral grammatical analysis tool that is implemented in Python and has a sophisticated regex-based rule system."

http://arstechnica.com/business/news...ammar-tool.ars

(but still something like the extension Language Tool ought to be included.)
    Last edited by Dry Lips; February 18th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: What would you like to see in a Linux office suite or word processor?

Hi.. This might be a stupid question. I am new to this Libreoffice. I used to do lots of xls and ppt stuffs for my work.

During my pitch (ppt) creation, i used to move here and there (by rolling my mouse wheel) to glance at my slide stuff.

But in libreoffice-impress, its different. When I scroll my mouse wheel, its moving between top and bottom of a slide. I am compelled to move through by using the side-view panel, which is bit frustrating for me.

Is there a way to assign mouse wheel scrolling to view slides, in normal view?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What would you like to see in a Linux office suite or word processor?

Probably not, no. I mean, you have to be able to navigate within the slide, and along the slide list, somehow, and using up and down and left to right scrolling for panning is just the universal convention in almost any application. You can always click to focus the slide reel, then use the up and down arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips
    "One of the major new features introduced in LibreOffice 3.5 is a new grammar checking tool. The feature is built with Lightproof, a language-neutral grammatical analysis tool that is implemented in Python and has a sophisticated regex-based rule system."
    That is exciting! = )

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234