Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why hasn't Canonical adopted the dark ambiance sidebar for Nautilus?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why hasn't Canonical adopted the dark ambiance sidebar for Nautilus?

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Like XFCE developers are doing it for the next XFCE release and as i suggested maybe it could be used for Ubuntu too? Especially if Nautilus would be replaced with Marlin that doesn't do desktop management. What about integration and right click menus and things like that? All lost?
    I hear you, but like I said, not a part of the vision so moot. Besides those things are file manager centric. If you agree that the file manager isn't the best tool to manage the desktop (as even the xfce devs seem to.) Then you start exploring other ways to integrate.
    What does KDE have to do with Ubuntu? Screenlets are not and probbably won't be included in Ubuntu by default and AFAIK are different thing compared to what Nautilus provides so where was i wrong? I said:
    "Because nobody AFAIK does any development on desktop management (Gnome, Marlin, Ubuntu...)"
    Um for starters kubuntu. But really I was trying to illustrate that your claim that nobody does desktop management is false. KDE has put lots of effort into desktop management. Just because its not the default base for Ubuntu doesn't make it irrelevant. Screenlets we'll get to.
    What does docks have to do with desktop management and will they be included by default in Ubuntu? Unity already has "the dock" (Unity Launcher) and i doubt this will be replaced anytime soon.
    IMHO Docks are a better application for managing the desktop, its where they live and what they do is similar. Yes some are nothing more than simple launcher bars, but then you start getting into awn, cairo-dock, docky and even Unity and GS could be put in this category for their launcher functions. Cairo-dock is capable of managing a desktop, awn is too. heck properly configured they can both function as a shell. Unity and GS could do the job on their own, but its not a priority for them. (Good thing too doing everything under the kitchen sink leads to bloat.) Again those are examples of desktop management you said doesn't exist.
    Yes BUT if u put Marlin in the "mix" by default you don't have desktop management anymore for "the basic" things you mentioned first? And by working on desktop management i was talking about improving what we have now. For example the usual stuff (new) users want:

-Arrange items on the desktop not only by name
    -Have text below or at the side of item
    -Option that works better then keep aligned and that does arrange items in straight lines not messy pile
    -Option to create launcher on the desktop and not using terminal for this
    -Integration with Shell & DE
    -To look & work just as "lean" as the Shell that surrounds it works and it works great!
    All of that is stuff that nautilus does a poor job of now, its almost unsupported with the way nautilus development is going. Other solutions could do that as well. You know why they don't? Because its unnecessary feature bloat. Setup a sane configuration with a few options and leave it at that.
    No ti is not? What does clock or calendar or CPU meter have to do with desktop management Nautilus provide? Two different things and by default the place for similar (default) functionality that screenlets offer are Dash & Indicators?
    You're forgetting Folderview witch is not exclusive to screenlets btw. Folderview does everything nautilus does for the desktop only simplified. Yes some screenlets duplicate functions of the dash and indicators. But what these lack and screenlets is designed for Is widgets. Little apps that give you quick info or control over your OS and apps. Widgets make better use of the desktop than having what amounts to the giant open folder that nautilus provides ever did.

3rd party docks and "layers" of widgets like screenlets are OK for some things and i am glad they exist but i think they don't have much with (default) Ubuntu!
    Where exactly do you think the inspiration for much of Unity and GS came from? Had you shown Unity as it is now to Canonical three years, ago and said this should be default. They'd have said your off your nut. That's progress for ya.
    Last edited by snkiz; February 16th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Since a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is my desktop with gnome-session drawing the background, folderview widget, Marlin replacing Nautilus, and conky for info. (Screenlets could do everything I have here with conky, but that's no fun now is it. )

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4595398/Scre...%3A10%3A54.png
    Last edited by snkiz; February 16th, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: cranky uploader

Beans

If you agree that the file manager isn't the best tool to manage the desktop (as even the xfce devs seem to.) Then you start exploring other ways to integrate.
    I don't care of what manages desktop as long as it works good. I am just saying i read a lot of times on the internet replace Nautilus with Marlin. It could be done but then we would not have desktop management as we know it anymore. No right click -> send to Thunderbird for example from the desktop... This all would have to be done if same level of usefulness would want to be achieved. I just don't believe in short amount of time this will be done but it would take very short amount of time to replace Nautilus with Marlin that i agree.

But really I was trying to illustrate that your claim that nobody does desktop management is false.
    I was talking about Ubuntu and i would be glad if i would be wrong.

IMHO Docks are a better application for managing the desktop, its where they live and what they do is similar. Yes some are nothing more than simple launcher bars, but then you start getting into awn, cairo-dock, docky and even Unity and GS could be put in this category for their launcher functions. Cairo-dock is capable of managing a desktop, awn is too. heck properly configured they can both function as a shell. Unity and GS could do the job on their own, but its not a priority for them. (Good thing too doing everything under the kitchen sink leads to bloat.) Again those are examples of desktop management you said doesn't exist.
    Again i was talking about (default) Ubuntu. And Unity Launcher is great "dock" but it is a different thing then what Nautilus provides in terms of desktop management? Gnome developers or Marlin developers could improve desktop management i agree on that. Gnome developers didn't and are not trying to AFAIK and Marlin developers probably are not thinking about desktop management. In the end the logical solution still is Nautilus.

All of that is stuff that nautilus does a poor job of now, its almost unsupported with the way nautilus development is going. Other solutions could do that as well. You know why they don't? Because its unnecessary feature bloat. Setup a sane configuration with a few options and leave it at that.
    I agree nobody is doing it and now you see what i was talking about? Sane configuration would include this features i mentioned.

You're forgetting Folderview witch is not exclusive to screenlets btw. Folderview does everything nautilus does for the desktop only simplified.
    Does it support for example Send files -> Thunderbird?

Widgets make better use of the desktop than having what amounts to the giant open folder that nautilus provides ever did.
    They make better use if they are useful (more useful then what Nautilus provide). I could agree on that yes!

Where exactly do you think the inspiration for much of Unity and GS came from? Had you shown Unity as it is now to Canonical three years, ago and said this should be default. They'd have said your off your nut. That's progress for ya.
    I said Unity Shell is best Shell right now (beside removal of Dodge). But this has little to do with improvements of desktop management i was talking about and Nautilus provides.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is my desktop with gnome-session drawing the background, folderview widget, Marlin replacing Nautilus, and conky for info. (Screenlets could do everything I have here with conky, but that's no fun now is it. )
    You are basically talking about putting some widgets on the desktop aren't you? I like it but i don't know if this are sane defaults and i personal would not trade it for what Nautilus offers me because i can have that with Nautilus too if i use some widgets/Conky and stuff that will probably not be included by default any time soon and i don't know what sane defaults would be?

Now back to the point what i was saying:

-If u want to replace Nautilus with Marlin by default you have to have the solution for desktop management. Mentioned solutions in this thread did not convinced me they are better because i just don't see the level of integration Nautilus provides and i believe Dash and Indicators are for (default) "fancy stuff". Users that want to use widgets for some specific tasks can still do that?

-Desktop management that Nautilus provides AFAIK nobody is doing much about improving that. If i am wrong i am glad that i am.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 16th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread is drifting way off topic, the op's question was answered on the first page of the thread, so I don't see a need for it to continue. Thread closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123