Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why hasn't Canonical adopted the dark ambiance sidebar for Nautilus?

Beans

Re: Why hasn't Canonical adopted the dark ambiance sidebar for Nautilus?

I think dark color for sidebar is not the right thing to do. But i imagine this problem will solve it self with Nautilus 3.4?

http://iloveubuntu.net/redesigned-na...lin-next-weeks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I think dark color for sidebar is not the right thing to do. But i imagine this problem will solve it self with Nautilus 3.4?

I use a modified version of the dark sidebar here w/ nautilus 3.3+, works well.
    While looking at a screen isn't anyway to judge, at a glance it certainly would be 'solved' here.
    I'd either stick with the current nautilus in 12.04 or move to Marlin which is something Ubuntu should consider for 12.10+, at least it's developed by people with a good sense of both design & function who are quite responsive to bugs & feature requests

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    One of the first things I do, right after resizing unity icons down to 32px.
    That's exactly what I do. They waste too much space on my screen otherwise.

Beans
    Hidden!

God is that final? its the most useless file manager I've ever seen. Glad I switched to marlin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by snkiz View Post
    is that final? its the most useless file manager I've ever seen.
    No, it's just a mockup and won't be happening for Nautilus 3.4.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    No, it's just a mockup and won't be happening for Nautilus 3.4.
    It's scary they are even considering such a design.

Beans

Ubuntu can't just switch to Marlin because Marlin does not do desktop management! Nautilus does.

I hope somebody doesn't decide: Desktop Management what is that? We don't need it. That would be like when Gnome 3 went that road and decided desktop is just another word for wallpaper stand.

Nobody AFAIK does any serious desktop management development but if you look in the "general" section of this forums a lot of new users ask, how do i do this and that with my desktop. The answer is you can't. WYSIWYG. Aren't new users important? At least that is why dodge windows was ditched officially and appeals to at least think about allowing simplified solutions: hide only when at least one application is maximized are ignored. On the other hand feature like HUD and Dash Cowerflow are being seriously considered for Ubuntu 12.04. I don't mind it but users expressed what they really use in Ubuntu releases until now and what they like about Unity and were just ignored.

I hope they won't be ignored in the future and will for example get Marlin before Marlin can do desktop management? I see a lot of statements like this all over the internet. Replace Nautilus with Marlin. What about the desktop?

Because nobody AFAIK does any development on desktop management (Gnome, Marlin, Ubuntu...) i made suggestion to think about working closely with XFCE developers as they still are doing at least something.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...89&postcount=7

But this is for the future release when and if Marlin has desktop management or Marlin + something else that does desktop management is way better that what Nautilus has to offer now!

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's hoping marlin never does desktop management. (At least in the core app. But it does support plugins, that would be ok.) Marlin so far sticks to the Linux adage; Do one thing, and do it well. Your suggestion that no one does desktop management is simply false. The most notable is plasma, screenlets is similar but for gtk. there are a number of dock projects that do it aswell. More to the point, Unity's vision, like gnomes does not include desktop management. So from the projects standspoint the issue its moot. I'd wager the rewrite of nautilus won't do desktop management because of this. The desktop is more than a place to drop files, once you look at it in that light, using the file manager to handle the desktop doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited by snkiz; February 15th, 2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: damn auto correct

Beans
    Hidden!

Aren't new users important? At least that is why dodge windows was ditched officially and appeals to at least think about allowing simplified solutions: hide only when at least one application is maximized are ignored. On the other hand feature like HUD and Dash Cowerflow are being seriously considered for Ubuntu 12.04. I don't mind it but users expressed what they really use in Ubuntu releases until now and what they like about Unity and were just ignored.
    New users are important, Canonical's decision to default to always show for the launcher is evidence of that. Useless eyecandy like coverflow is also evidence of that.
    I hope they won't be ignored in the future and will for example get Marlin before Marlin can do desktop management? I see a lot of statements like this all over the internet. Replace Nautilus with Marlin. What about the desktop?
    Existing users are being ignored, dodge's removal from the code is evidence of that.
    But this is for the future release when and if Marlin has desktop management or Marlin + something else that does desktop management is way better that what Nautilus has to offer now!
    Marlin + screenlets is an effective solution. Its more functional and efficient than nautilus. Now what would be cool is if scrrenlets was better integrated with Marlin, with a Dbus plugin or some such.
    Last edited by snkiz; February 15th, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Beans

Here's hoping marlin never does desktop management. (At least in the core app. But it does support plugins, that would be ok.)
    Like XFCE developers are doing it for the next XFCE release and as i suggested maybe it could be used for Ubuntu too? Especially if Nautilus would be replaced with Marlin that doesn't do desktop management. What about integration and right click menus and things like that? All lost?

Your suggestion that no one does desktop management is simply false. The most notable is plasma, screenlets is similar but for gtk.
    What does KDE have to do with Ubuntu? Screenlets are not and probbably won't be included in Ubuntu by default and AFAIK are different thing compared to what Nautilus provides so where was i wrong? I said:

Because nobody AFAIK does any development on desktop management (Gnome, Marlin, Ubuntu...)
    there are a number of dock projects that do it aswell.
    What does docks have to do with desktop management and will they be included by default in Ubuntu? Unity already has "the dock" (Unity Launcher) and i doubt this will be replaced anytime soon.

The desktop is more than a place to drop files, once you look at it in that light, using the file manager to handle the desktop doesn't make much sense.
    Yes BUT if u put Marlin in the "mix" by default you don't have desktop management anymore for "the basic" things you mentioned first? And by working on desktop management i was talking about improving what we have now. For example the usual stuff (new) users want:

-Arrange items on the desktop not only by name
    -Have text below or at the side of item
    -Option that works better then keep aligned and that does arrange items in straight lines not messy pile
    -Option to create launcher on the desktop and not using terminal for this
    -Integration with Shell & DE
    -To look & work just as "lean" as the Shell that surrounds it works and it works great! I like Unity Shell and i think is the best Shell out there beside removal of Dodge Windows alike functionality that i don't support.

New users are important, Canonical's decision to default to always show for the launcher is evidence of that.
    The "problem" is not the default mode is the removal of one mode used by many. The preferred mode of many users and if this would not be a preferred mode for many users feedback would not be so huge!

Existing users are being ignored, dodge's removal from the code is evidence of that.
    I agree.

Marlin + screenlets is an effective solution. Its more functional and efficient than nautilus. Now what would be cool is if scrrenlets was better integrated with Marlin, with a Dbus plugin or some such.
    No ti is not? What does clock or calendar or CPU meter have to do with desktop management Nautilus provide? Two different things and by default the place for similar (default) functionality that screenlets offer are Dash & Indicators?

3rd party docks and "layers" of widgets like screenlets are OK for some things and i am glad they exist but i think they don't have much with (default) Ubuntu!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 15th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast