Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't use virtual machines

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why I don't use virtual machines

I always do real installation of distros I wan to try and trust me its like I want to try them all

but I dont use VirtualBox coz vdpau doesn't work. Playing videos is a must for me.

So, when you use VirtualBox you don't play videos ? What kind of usage do you do with the

virtual machines?

TIA
    Lubuntu 14.04
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why I don't use virtual machines

Computers are not TVs. You can do a lot of things on them besides watching videos (not to mention that you can watch videos without VDPAU).

Personally, I use them to play Solitaire.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Why I don't use virtual machines

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Computers are not TVs. You can do a lot of things on them besides watching videos (not to mention that you can watch videos without VDPAU).

Personally, I use them to play Solitaire.
    I use this PC as a HTPC. I have purchased a 22" LCD & a TV tuner box. I deliberately haven't purchased a TV. Computers are often used as HTPCs these days. Don't you agree?

Without vdpau HD playback demands 100% CPU.
    Lubuntu 14.04
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I use this PC as a HTPC. I have purchased a 22" LCD & a TV tuner box. I deliberately haven't purchased a TV. Computers are often used as HTPCs these days. Don't you agree?
    Maybe. I must admit I am not very knowledgeable about the latest trends in PC use. But why would you want to use a VM for that, anyway? That's not what they are for. Solitaire, on the other hand...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Maybe. I must admit I am not very knowledgeable about the latest trends in PC use. But why would you want to use a VM for that, anyway? That's not what they are for. Solitaire, on the other hand...
    Its just that if vdpau worked I would have installed a dozen distros.
    Solitaire is awesome.
    Lubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Multiboot?

Some of us use virtualization extensively... But some of us don't use the virtual machines for video.

You and I may use our machines for entirely different purposes. For me, a computer is a tool. If I want to watch a video, I slap a dvd in the drive and sit on the couch with the wife for 90 minutes. I don't see any good reason for having an HTPC with 500 movies on a hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I deliberately haven't purchased a TV. Computers are often used as HTPCs these days. Don't you agree?
    Yes, but as Bachstelze said computers are used for more than video playback. I use vbox for testing out distros, but HD video playback is not one of my tests, as I never have issues with that from distro to distro. If I also want to try out a new application I will try it in a VM before installing it on my main rig.

I am also a software developer, so testing application deployment in vbox is very useful.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yeah, I don't get the focus on video particularly. My computer is my only DVD player, television, etc., but I don't know why I'd be watching videos through a VM when the host is perfectly capable. I have to admit I find it odd when non-developers who don't need specific environments still have a number of virtual machines at hand - I really don't see the appeal. But that's a different question, I suppose, if you're already interested in "trying them all." = )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Isn't the idea behind having a HTPC, to have a stable platform to watch videos, listen do music, and do other media related tasks?

By not purchasing a TV, you are limiting yourself to watching videos on a small screen. All LCD/Plasma/LED Tv's include a VGA connector, as well as multiple HDMI connectors. There is no reason not to use a TV as a video monitor.

Beans
    Hidden!

Makes a great test box for me, nothing more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast