Thread: Partitions

Hybrid View

Beans

Partitions

Hey Guys

I just bought a SSD. I also have a HD, and I'd like to install Windows 7 on the SSD, and partition the HD into two parts (200GB/300GB). On the 200GB part, I'd like to isntall Ubuntu.

I was wondering whether it'd be possible to make the third partition (the 300GB on the HD) available to both OS's?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Partitions

Yes, it is. Just format any partition you want to share as NTFS.
    Do not expect to install any Linux programs on this partition - it doesn't have the same file permissions that Linux uses.

Might I recommend a smaller Linux partition for the OS/App say 10 or 20GB (ext4), then a 10GB partition for your HOME (ext4), 1-2G for swap, and then a data-only partition (NTFS) with the rest of the storage? You probably want to make all of these be logical partitions, not primary. You'll thank me later.

Having your HOME partition separate will make OS upgrades easier since files your home won't be touched.

Beans

Thanks

Thank you for your help.

I understand why you separate the OS from the HOME, but why do you suggest an ext4 partition for my HOME and another one for data? In other words: would it be a very bad idea to make to HOME partition NTFS and big to use it for data storage, accesible by both OS's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am not sure linux would accept a ntfs /home partition.
    Plus, you don't want windows touching your /home partition.

Go with separate ext4 /home, and ntfs data partition. Both ideas are great.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Thanks

Thanks to you too, Darkod.

Okay, so I understand that now. The next step will be the execution =)

I haven't yet recieved the SSD yet, but I'm guessing it is relatively straightforward to install it?
    1. Install the SSD on it's 2.5' to 3.5' mount.
    2. Open PC, connect SATA, connect power.
    3. Close PC

That's it?

Or is there anything else I need to consider?

Given I'm able to install the SSD and boot up my PC, will it just go into the Windows (7 64-bit) I have on the HD?
    And if so, do I just install Win7 on the SSD and end up with 2 windows 7 versions?
    And if so again, what would be the smart way to transfer the (quite big amount of) data on the HD that I want to my NAS, so that I can then format my HD and repartition it?
    Furthermore, I have currently installed my Ubuntu under wubi, should I leave it as such and install wubi again on the win 7 of the SSD (I'd prefer any other way, since I don't really like the 32GB restriction...)? Or is there another way?

Now that's a lot of questions^^ I'm sorry if they seem very basic to you, but this is the first HD/SSD I install myself^^
    I'm alright with software, but a true beginner in terms of hardware^^
    Last edited by Fightback; February 13th, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The physical install of the SSD is how you described it. Nothing more to consider.

But for the win7 install, I would recommend to disconnect the hdd with win7 (one cable is enough, the sata or power cable).
    If you try to install on the ssd and you have the hdd with win7 present, it will add the boot files to the first install. Then when you format the hdd your new win7 won't boot.

Disconnect it, and let it install like you only have the ssd.

After that, you can connect the hdd but in BIOS make the ssd first choice to boot, so it will boot your new win7. Copy what ever you want, where ever you want it.

After that you can reformat the hdd and do what ever you like with it.

About the ubuntu install. What we discussed about separate /home, and ntfs data partition, is usually used in proper dual boot install. Not with wubi. And wubi is not meant to be a long term install anyway. Updates can easily break it.

I recommend installing the dual boot, not wubi. For this, either plan to leave small part of the ssd for ubuntu, or after you finish copying the data from the hdd install ubuntu on it on a small partition, and use the rest as ntfs data partition.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit