Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partitions

Beans

Re: Partitions

Quote Originally Posted by Fightback View Post
    I'm sorry for double posting, but I have an important question:
    I'm formatting my SSD and was wondering whether I have to make the 2GB Swap partition a primary or an extended partition?
    Or do I want to make one big (extended) partition and make logical partitions within?

EDIT: Nevermind, got all excited because of the SSD and forgot what TheFu wrote in the beginning. Sorry.
    Linux doesnt care about primary, extended and logical etc, it can go on anything.

if on a HDD then best to be near beginning of disk to improve read/write times depending on type of disk.

on a SSD probably dont matter too much, with enough ram then it wont hardly matter ever anyways
    Last edited by haqking; February 14th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Okay so I formatted the SSD to be one big extended partition, and divided that extended partition into a 2Gb swap partition, a 20GB ext4 partition designated for /, and left the rest unallocated. Rebooted with disconnected HDD, tried to install win7; didn't work.
    Back to Gparted, allocated the unallocated part with NTFS, now I'll try again

Btw, hardware install went without a hitch

EDIT: That didn't help^^
    back to GParted, now trying something different: an extended for both / and swap and a primary for windows
    Last edited by Fightback; February 14th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay so I formatted the SSD to be one big extended partition, and divided that extended partition into a 2Gb swap partition, a 20GB ext4 partition designated for /, and left the rest unallocated. Rebooted with disconnected HDD, tried to install win7; didn't work.
    Back to Gparted, allocated the unallocated part with NTFS, now I'll try again

Btw, hardware install went without a hitch
    Windows needs to install on primary. Delete all partitions. Make one primary ntfs of 80GB, leave the rest as unallocated. For ubuntu it's best not to create partitions in advance, do it during the install.
    When you start the ubuntu install, use the manual method and create the / and swap with the sizes you decided. You can create them as logical partitions.
    That's it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Okdioke, thanks darkod

Going to do that now.

One question though, when/how do I create the seperate /home on the HDD?
    Last edited by Fightback; February 14th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okdioke, thanks darkod

Going to do that now.

One question though, when/how do I create the seperate /home on the HDD?
    You have to do it at the same time when installing. So, if the HDD is not ready for overwriting, you need to wait with the ubuntu installation. It's much more difficult to separate it later on an existing install.

I was referring only to the SSD, that's why I mentioned only / and swap. Sorry if I confused you.

The correct term is: Start the manual method when installing ubuntu and create logical / and swap on the SSD, and primary (or logical) /home on the HDD. If you only have two partitions on the HDD, /home and the ntfs data partition, they can be both primary. No need to use logical.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Having a plan for the partitions is great, but don't forget that HDD makers don't count the same way everyone else does and there are formating losses. 1000 != 1024, so you won't get 80GB+48GB=128GB

With that said, I think your numbers are reasonable. If you are a java developer, you'll probably want more HOME. I do perl, so I've been able to work easily in 10GB the last 3 yrs.

You do not need to allocate the HDD completely now. You can move and expand later if you plan smartly now.

Primary partitions are limited to 4 per physical HDD. To have logical partitions, you need 1 primary that is marked as "Extended." Every "logical partition" resides inside the extended partition. In the old days, a primary partition was required for booting Windows and MS-Dos. MS-Windows may still have this requirement - I don't know. I do know that Linux does not have this requirement for any partitions. Also, I've heard there isn't any artificial limit on the number of logical partitions that a HDD can hold - over 50 are possible at least. Basically, I see it this way - primary partitions are scarce - don't use them unless you must. Logical partitions are plentiful and can be used by all OSes as data partitions and Linux for booting. Prefer logical partitions.

I've seen laptops from a vendor come with Windows already using all 4 primary partitions.
    a) Windows recover
    b) hardware support tools
    c) Windows OS/Apps Boot
    d) Windows Data
    In this configuration, we can not create an extended partition to hold any logical partitions. Bad planning.

Don't forget that you need a place to backup all this data. Backing up the SSD partitions to the HDD is easy enough, but you'll probably find it easier to get another HDD and backup both the SSD and HDD to that instead.

There are 2 types of people in the world those who backup and thos ....
    Last edited by TheFu; February 14th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

sorry yeah i may of confused things when i said linux doesnt care about primary/logical etc/

Windows does of course

Peace

Beans

@TheFu
    I was thinking something like one extended partition; within two logical partitions, one 20GB /home and the other one the rest of the HDD; Storage.

Hehe, what a nice saying. I am using Duplicity on Ubuntu and Duplicati on Windows for Backup. I might change from Duplicity to Duplicati on Ubuntu aswell, though.
    The saying reminded me of a quote I have read somewhere:

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Love it =)

Beans

The saying reminded me of a quote I have read somewhere:

Love it =)
    I prefer

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who mistake it for binary

Beans

Haha, pretty awesome as well xD

Everything went well. Enjoying fast boot times =)

Do you think the community would be interested in a guide for a set-up like mine?
    Last edited by Fightback; February 15th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast