Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partitions

Beans

Re: Partitions

That didn't really answer my question. =)
    Here it is again^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fightback View Post
    The SSD is 128 GB (that's definitively enough, right?)

I think Win7 + programs will be about 60GB (tops), so enough space for Ubuntu.

Probably going to install it on the SSD.

So the basic procedure will be as follows:
    1. Install the SSD (in terms of hardware)
    2. Partition the SSD (90GB Windows; 38GB Ubuntu (or so)). Which program would you recommend? GParted on the Ubuntu-Live-CD?
    3. Install Windows on the SSD Windows Partition
    4. Backup Windows files I want to the NAS
    5. Wipe HDD. What program is suitable? (On purpose not backing up Ubuntu, there really isn't much on there I still want)
    6. Partition HDD (20GB /home, 2GB Swap, 478GB Storage) (There was something about LPARs, how would I achieve that?)
    7. Copy files back to HD
    8. Tweaking libraries etc (suggested here)
    9. Install Ubuntu (via Live-CD)

Done.

I've been skimming through that guide I linked above, when I stumbled across this quote, which made me wonder whether I need a separate Swap partition? I have 8GB of RAM and I'm not often running multiple VMs parallely, so I though I maybe could follow this advise:

"Adding swap to Ubuntu

"Swap" memory is a section of the hard drive that your system's memory spills over into when it gets full and busy. Until recently, I'd been creating a whole separate partition for it. Recently, though, I've found that swap isn't always necessary on systems with a large amount of memory, and that swap can simply be a file tucked away on your hard drive somewhere.

Follow the Ubuntu help wiki's instructions for adding more swap, but consider changing the location they suggest putting the swap file—/mnt/swap/ for the place your Storage is held—/media/Storage, in my case."

Thanks for your help and fast replies =)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Related to your SWAP question.

a) The old idea of having swap be 1-2x the amount of RAM is outdated.
    b) Swap is meant to provide a little overflow for RAM, swapping too much makes a system slow and soon, unusable.

So, I never allocate more than 2GB for swap. Swaping 2GB of RAM out is slow enough, thank you. I can't imagine swapping 8GB out. I do run some extremely well behaved VMs without any swap, but it is dangerous. If there's no more RAM, your system could crash. Most people prefer for their system to get slower and slower before a crash.

Whether a different partition is *required*, I don't know. It isn't a problem for me to create a 2GB logical partition - you won't run out of them - and enable the swap there. I try to put the swap on a different physical disk than the OS to help performance. Swap needs to be on locally attached, fast storage, not SAN storage.

Somewhere else you asked if 128GB of SSD was enough.
    a) I don't use SSD - technology is too new for me.
    b) Storage use will always expand to exceed available storage. ALWAYS.

Beans

Hmm. I think I'll just allocate a 2GB Swap partition on the HDD.

You talk about Logical partitions. I must confess that I still don't really understand the difference between a logical partition and a primary partition.

Also, most probably because I don't understand this difference, I don't quite understand how I will have to set up the partitions.

What I want to achieve is the following:

1. SSD (capacity 128GB)
      • A 80 GB Windows partition for Windows 7 OS and programs.
      • A 48 GB Ubuntu partition for Ubuntu OS and programs.
    2. HDD (capacity 500 GB)
      • A 2 GB (Ubuntu-)SWAP partition
      • A 30 GB /home partition
      • A 468 GB storage partition accessible by both OS's (-> NTFS)

I intended to first partition the SSD, then install Windows on it. Now, given that I have mounted it onto my system, how would you recommend to partition it? Should I partition it with GParted on the Ubuntu-Live-CD?
    And if so, those two partitions would need to be primary partitions, right? Or do I only create the Ubuntu partition and let windows find it's place itself?

Thank you for your help.

Beans

I would put your Swap on the SSD as it is faster than the HDD but thats my opinion.

Also swap is not used only if a application runs out of memory.

It is also used when processes in memory are sleeping, they will often be swapped out for current processes.

You also dont have to use a swap partition, you could use a swap file also.

there is lots of debate on it.

On my laptops i use 2x ram +1 for hibernation.

On my desktop i have 16Gb ram and so only use .5x the ram.

I have windows 7 on first SSD with a swap for my Linux

I have linux (slackware and debian) on my second SSD

and a shared 2TB data HDD as my 3rd physical drive

Swap should be close to the first sector on a HDD but i dont think it really matters on a SSD so my swap on my first SSD is towards the end after the Windows C:

My machine runs like its on rocket fuel no matter what i do, what application i run or what OS i am in

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thanks haqking - Awesome blog btw, I'd love to see that guide progressing =)

I read something about not putting Swap on a SSD, because it wears it out?

I still don't really get the partitioning. When I just create a new partition with GParted, will it be a logical partition or a primary one?

Beans

Thanks haqking - Awesome blog btw, I'd love to see that guide progressing =)

I read something about not putting Swap on a SSD, because it wears it out?

I still don't really get the partitioning. When I just create a new partition with GParted, will it be a logical partition or a primary one?
    it only wears it out if it is used constantly which if you have a large amount of ram as it wont be.

besides if the read/written to argument about wearing out a SSD was a big deal we wouldnt put anything on them.

They are a glorified USB key if you like, i still have a 8Mb USB key from like 10 years ago (yes i said 8mb) which has been used a gazillion times and works fine (been in washing machine twice...LOL)

anyways its all down to your personal use really.

By the time your SSD wears out they will be so cheap to replace anyways

I got my 128GB crucial M4's for like £120 each or something like that, in a years time you will get a 512Gb or 1Tb at that price i suspect.

As for primary or logical that is upto you and what you choose to create.

With MBR then you are limited to 4 primarys per disk or 3 and one extended in which you can have as many logical as you like (give or take)

With GPT the limit is 128

for linux other than the /boot there is no real requirement for a primary over an extended/logical

and /boot doesnt technically need to be a primary but 9/10 often is

edit: here is a link to a explanation i just found for you http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018 i havent read it all way through but Bodhi knows his stuff so will likely be accurate

edit 2: oh yeah depending on what SSD you have, check to see if there are any firmware updates for them, it can be done after the OS install, but you might want to do them first, if you do them after then make sure you have backups/clones
    Last edited by haqking; February 14th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

That's true. So it will be 3 partitions on the SSD, one for ubuntu, one for windows and one for Ubuntu-swap.

Right, I shall read through that guide and then get to work =)
    I shall post (hopefully) how it went^^

Beans

That's true. So it will be 3 partitions on the SSD, one for ubuntu, one for windows and one for Ubuntu-swap.

Right, I shall read through that guide and then get to work =)
    I shall post (hopefully) how it went^^
    after each install make a backup/clone then you can restore easily.

Then play around as much as you like until your find a suitable setup that works for you.

I can wipe all my drives in about 2 minutes and reinstall to about 20 different image points from a base windows 7 install to a triple boot and various partitions.

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance There is a P missing from that but the language filter would pick it up LOL

Peace

Beans

I will

That's kinda impressing^_^ nice =)

LOL

Beans

I'm sorry for double posting, but I have an important question:
    I'm formatting my SSD and was wondering whether I have to make the 2GB Swap partition a primary or an extended partition?
    Or do I want to make one big (extended) partition and make logical partitions within?

EDIT: Nevermind, got all excited because of the SSD and forgot what TheFu wrote in the beginning. Sorry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast