Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.10 x86 very slow in VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 11.10 x86 very slow in VirtualBox

I run Ubuntu 10.04 natively on my box (core i7 2.4 Ghz with 24 gigs RAM), and 11.10 was very sluggish in Virtualbox 4.1.8. Moving a window was ridiculous: grab the window, drag it around, and it moved once every 1-2 seconds. Max display mem configured in VB, 3Gb RAM configured.

Off-topic rant...

I'm sticking to 10.04 at the moment, but once it gets too old (about now?), I'll consider switching to some other distro - anything Ubuntu after 10.04 doesn't take my fancy at all.

I've been a Linux-user since 1994, computer programmer as hobby since 1984 and as profession since 1997 - maybe I'm an old dog, but I don't like the workstation turning 'cellphone'-style with big icons and full-screen apps. That's for people who are not into computers, like the market Apple is targeting.
    Last edited by waperboy; March 23rd, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
    12.04 on MB: Asus P6T SE, CPU: Intel i7 930, RAM: 24Gb Corsair Vengeance 2000MHz, GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 680 2GB HD: OCZ Vertex2 90Gb, OCZ Agility3 240Gb, WD Caviar Black 1Tb, TFT: Yamakasi Catleap 27" 2560x1440, KBD: Filco Majestouch, tactile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 11.10 x86 very slow in VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by waperboy View Post
    I run Ubuntu 10.04 natively on my box (core i7 2.4 Ghz with 24 gigs RAM), and 11.10 was very sluggish in Virtualbox 4.1.8. Moving a window was ridiculous: grab the window, drag it around, and it moved once every 1-2 seconds. Max display mem configured in VB, 3Gb RAM configured.

Off-topic rant...

I'm sticking to 10.04 at the moment, but once it gets too old (about now?), I'll consider switching to some other distro - anything Ubuntu after 10.04 doesn't take my fancy at all.

I've been a Linux-user since 1994, computer programmer as hobby since 1984 and as profession since 1997 - maybe I'm an old dog, but I don't like the workstation turning 'cellphone'-style with big icons and full-screen apps. That's for people who are not into computers, like the market Apple is targeting.
    Hi Waperboy,

Looks like you had the same issue with me using 11.10 as a VM - clearly it's not a resource issue for you either so it looks as though 11.10 just doesn't like being a VM. Running Unity in 2D mode I found to be absolutely fine so it's probably something to do with Unity 3D.

You mentioned moving distro, take a look at the link below, Gnome classic is looking pretty good and should give you your beloved Gnome 2.x interface back

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...-ever-changed/

At first I loathed Unity but now I've used it for a while I really like it...might be worth giving that a go for a couple of weeks just to see if you can get used to it. I still haven't touched Gnome 3 yet apart from 'playing' with it for a few minutes here and there, getting frustrated because I don't know where anything is and then logging out.

Kev

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12