Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mate respin of ubuntu

Beans

Re: Mate respin of ubuntu

Cool cool. I've already started on a version with the regular Ubuntu 11.10, but we can consider moving to minimal after that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    Cool cool. I've already started on a version with the regular Ubuntu 11.10, but we can consider moving to minimal after that.
    So what we essentially do is install mate from the minimal install cd so that we have only mate and not unity and then use remastersys? Am I correct?

Beans

What we'd need to do is install the minimal CD, install the programs we want, install x11, install MATE, and THEN install remastersys. I've already started working on it, but I'm running into issues booting into the installation. I can't troubleshoot right now, but why don't you message me at your convenience and we can try and work on it when we have some free time?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    What we'd need to do is install the minimal CD, install the programs we want, install x11, install MATE, and THEN install remastersys. I've already started working on it, but I'm running into issues booting into the installation. I can't troubleshoot right now, but why don't you message me at your convenience and we can try and work on it when we have some free time?
    Ohk.... that will be a lot of work..... Did you try to remove unity through terminal after installing from from the main cd?
    And is this what we have to do to install x11?
    sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils
    And how do we install software center? is it:-
    sudo apt-get install software-center
    ??
    Last edited by varunpr97; February 14th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

(to install Ubuntu without Unity or Gnome)
    It would be nice to know exactly what items I must install to also have a bootable install of mate-core on this mini-install I've done of ubuntu 11.10. I've been working trying to get that. I installed mate-core okay and it installed many dependencies but I am nowhere close to getting it to actually boot up.
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    It would be nice to know exactly what items I must install to also have a bootable install of mate-core on this mini-install I've done of ubuntu 11.10. I've been working trying to get that. I installed mate-core okay and it installed many dependencies but I am nowhere close to getting it to actually boot up.
    See here for a good how-to: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

(You won't need icewm though.)

Beans

See here for a good how-to: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

(You won't need icewm though.)
    Okay, I previously looked that over and thought about doing that. I assume you are saying that I simply replace icewm with mate-core (after enabling the repo and getting the key). I will give that a try and will post my results.

I checked here first though because I was getting tired of reinstalling the minimalCD everytime I screwed things up. However, I've now tarred the entire fresh install to another partition so I can just format the minimal partition and untar everything back into it if need be.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I checked here first though because I was getting tired of reinstalling the minimalCD everytime I screwed things up. However, I've now tarred the entire fresh install to another partition so I can just format the minimal partition and untar everything back into it if need be.
    VirtualBox would be ideal for this kind of experimentation. You can use its Snapshot feature to roll back to a certain point in time.

Beans

Here's the process I just used to successfully integrate MATE into a fresh MinimalCD installation that was done through the command line option of the installer. This complete MATE install is quite "barebones" but that was my aim and it's the box I am on now. Here are the steps I took:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this repository:

deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu oneiric main

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xorg xterm gdm menu mate-core gksu firefox synaptic --no-install-recommends

sudo service gdm start
    Just a note ... After you install U1110 from the MiminalCD and boot into the installation you WILL NOT get a prompt or login when the bootup completes. Pressing ALT + F1 will take you to the prompt so you can login. Once you've completed the MATE install you will go directly to the Login GUI when you boot up.

Now I'll start experimenting with what I have and don't have and with what works and what doesn't.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:

Beans

VirtualBox would be ideal for this kind of experimentation. You can use its Snapshot feature to roll back to a certain point in time.
    Yeah, I do think it's time for me to figure out and start using virtualbox and quit doing things the archaic way.

Thanks for your help and your suggestions.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast