Thread: Mate respin of ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Talking Mate respin of ubuntu

I want to create a mate respin of ubuntu without unity 3d and unity 2d included as default? How do I go about things? Can I do that by removing the unity and unity lens packages and installing mate( a fork of gnome 2) and then using remastersys with the "dist" option to create the distro or should I use Ubuntu Customisation Kit(UCK). Or should I go about building the distro manually? I plan to start with this as soon as precise is released. I also want to upload the cd image and create a website for the project. Anybody intrested? I'm just 15 and know some C so is that useful?

Beans

Re: Mate respin of ubuntu

Hello. I'm 16 and attempting essentially the same thing as we speak. Any chance in collaborating?

I'm working on the second Alpha release, which isn't going the best...trying to remove Unity makes Synaptic install Gnome Shell, and vice versa. What a nuisance. But yeah...wanna work together? http://paradiseos.wordpress.com

Beans

Talking Re: Mate respin of ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    Hello. I'm 16 and attempting essentially the same thing as we speak. Any chance in collaborating?

I'm working on the second Alpha release, which isn't going the best...trying to remove Unity makes Synaptic install Gnome Shell, and vice versa. What a nuisance. But yeah...wanna work together? http://paradiseos.wordpress.com
    Collaboration .... ya sure! but after precise release... Also we will have to make an attractive website.. We can try hosting our own server....And what are you using to make your builds?
    Can you please try this and tell me what happens?
    add to your software sources
    sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mate-core
    This repository contains 300Mb of pure Mate-desktop packages - that is, the Gnome-2 packages after the fork. This will install mate...
    Now, uninstall unity by removing the foll. packages:
    sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d-places unity-2d unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-files unity-lens-music unity-lens-applications gir1.2-unity-4.0 unity-common indicator-sound indicator-power indicator-appmenu libindicator6 indicator-application evolution-indicator indicator-datetime indicator-messages libnux-1.0-0 nuxtools
    This will remove Transmission and Tomboy, no problem there, just reinstall them after using
    sudo apt-get install tomboy transmission
    And then install remastersys and try to create the distro by using the dist command(just google it)
    I will begin work when I get a faster internet connection (using 50kbps 2g internet connection) I will get a 512 kpbs line after my final exams(after the precise release)
    NOTE:Try this on ubuntu 11.10 and not 12.04(it wont work on 12.04) and see if you get some success.....
    Last edited by varunpr97; February 13th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunpr97 View Post
    Collaboration .... ya sure! but after precise release... Also we will have to make an attractive website.. We can try hosting our own server....And what are you using to make your builds?
    Can you please try this and tell me what happens?
    add to your software sources
    This repository contains 300Mb of pure Mate-desktop packages - that is, the Gnome-2 packages after the fork. This will install mate...
    Now, uninstall unity by removing the foll. packages:
    This will remove Transmission and Tomboy, no problem there, just reinstall them after using
    And then install remastersys and try to create the distro by using the dist command(just google it)
    I will begin work when I get a faster internet connection (using 50kbps 2g internet connection) I will get a 512 kpbs line after my final exams(after the precise release)
    NOTE:Try this on ubuntu 11.10 and not 12.04(it wont work on 12.04) and see if you get some success.....
    I have already installed MATE in 11.10. The thing I've been having trouble with is removing Unity w/o installing Gnome Shell in the process. Does the terminal method avoid that problem? And yeah, I already know about Remastersys and plan to use it as soon as we're ready to build again.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you might get some useful info here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=MATE&page=25

hope this helps you.

Beans

Also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

(to install Ubuntu without Unity or Gnome)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by varunpr97 View Post
    I want to create a mate respin of ubuntu without unity 3d and unity 2d included as default? How do I go about things?
    See relinux to create respins of Ubuntu.

Beans

^Thanks, I'm sticking with Remastersys for now, but someone suggested alternative methods, which I will look into down the road.

@Trapper: I'm not asking how to modify the color scheme and the like, but rather how to change the layout from the one posted above to the Ubuntu default, as shown here.

Beans

Here is my /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter-ubuntu.conf file. The shown background and theme don't exist, so I assume that may be part of my problem. I have no /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file, however I do have an /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf file which seems to be the same as what is below, however the layout is not the default Ubuntu one, and I see no place to change it (see above screenshot from Post #31 for how it looks right now). Any help?

#
    # background = Background file to use, either an image path or a color (e.g. #772953)
    # theme-name = GTK+ theme to use
    # font-name = Font to use
    # xft-antialias = Whether to antialias Xft fonts (true or false)
    # xft-dpi = Resolution for Xft in dots per inch (e.g. 96)
    # xft-hintstyle = What degree of hinting to use (hintnone, hintslight, hintmedium, or hintfull)
    # xft-rgba = Type of subpixel antialiasing (none, rgb, bgr, vrgb or vbgr)
    # show-language-selector (true or false)
    #
    [greeter]
    background=/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
    theme-name=Ambiance
    font-name=Ubuntu 11
    xft-antialias=true
    xft-dpi=96
    xft-hintstyle=slight
    xft-rgba=rgb
    show-language-selector=false

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    Here is my /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter-ubuntu.conf file. The shown background and theme don't exist, so I assume that may be part of my problem. I have no /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file, however I do have an /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf file which seems to be the same as what is below, however the layout is not the default Ubuntu one, and I see no place to change it (see above screenshot from Post #31 for how it looks right now). Any help?

Okay. Here is my edited /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter-ubuntu.conf. After I manually edit it I log out and back in for changes to take affect.

Code:
    [greeter]
    background=#000000
    theme-name=Ambiance
    logo=/usr/share/icons/lightdm/my-lightdm-logo.png
    font-name=Ubuntu 11
    xft-antialias=true
    xft-dpi=96
    xft-hintstyle=slight
    xft-rgba=rgb
    show-language-selector=false
    Here's my complete lightdm.conf.

Code:
    [SeatDefaults]
    user-session=mate-session
    allow-guest=false
    I "think" lightdm.conf was created when I ran:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s mate-session
    I ran that just prior to starting lightdm service the first time after initial MATE installation. I manually inserted the "allow-guest=false" section to prevent guest login.
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD