Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mate respin of ubuntu

Beans

Re: Mate respin of ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Here's the process I just used to successfully integrate MATE into a fresh MinimalCD installation that was done through the command line option of the installer. This complete MATE install is quite "barebones" but that was my aim and it's the box I am on now. Here are the steps I took:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this repository:

deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu oneiric main

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xorg xterm gdm menu mate-core gksu firefox synaptic --no-install-recommends

sudo service gdm start
    Just a note ... After you install U1110 from the MiminalCD and boot into the installation you WILL NOT get a prompt or login when the bootup completes. Pressing ALT + F1 will take you to the prompt so you can login. Once you've completed the MATE install you will go directly to the Login GUI when you boot up.

Now I'll start experimenting with what I have and don't have and with what works and what doesn't.
    What packages do we hav eto install to get lightdm as the default dm? and I have installed mate on my pc... it loads under guest session but when I load it under my username it doesnt boot... it did boot for the 1st time then hung...

Beans

I have not been able to get my Minimal install to boot at all...it pretty much just sits there as a blank screen. Any help?

@varunpr97: What do you say we worry about trying the minimal CD later down the line, but for now focus on what I've already started (building on top of normal Ubuntu 11.10)? Also, do send me a message with your name/preferred pseudonym so I can post a message to the Paradise OS blog welcoming you to the development team!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    I have not been able to get my Minimal install to boot at all...it pretty much just sits there as a blank screen. Any help?
    Did you press ALT + F1 after the install boots up?
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans

Did you press ALT + F1 after the install boots up?
    No. Was I supposed to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    No. Was I supposed to?
    Yes, that's why I inserted this in the bottom of my post concerning how I installed MATE.

Just a note ... After you install U1110 from the MiminalCD and boot into the installation you WILL NOT get a prompt or login when the bootup completes. Pressing ALT + F1 will take you to the prompt so you can login. Once you've completed the MATE install you will go directly to the Login GUI when you boot up.
    I experienced the same difficulty. After searching around I discovered it is expected behavior when installing 11.10 minimal. I'm not sure it's the same with previous versions.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunpr97 View Post
    What packages do we hav eto install to get lightdm as the default dm? and I have installed mate on my pc... it loads under guest session but when I load it under my username it doesnt boot... it did boot for the 1st time then hung...

I tried the routine I posted earlier but sustituted lightdm for gdm. When I booted to the gui I did not get a login screen. Instead I got mate's blue striped background but that was all ... just a background. No panels, no nothing. I don't know why yet but an working on it.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:

Beans

I tried the routine I posted earlier but substituted lightdm for gdm. When I booted to the gui I did not get a login screen.
    I finally managed to get lightdm working properly. Apparently it doesn't install a greeter, by default.

I replaced gdm with the following in my apt-get command:

lightdm lightdm-greeter-example-gtk

Reminder. After you've installed lightdm don't forget to run:

sudo service lightdm start

To change the login window background color, put a logo in, etc. I edited:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter-ubuntu.conf

In my case I made the background a solid color:

background=#2C001E

You can have a background image instead:

background=/path/to/my/image.png

For a logo in the login box:

logo=/path/to/my/logo_image.png
    Last edited by Trapper; February 22nd, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Corrected lightdm install procedures and customizations.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:

Beans

Thank you very much for the information on configuring Light DM! It's MUCH appreciated!! I was going to need to find that eventually.

Here is a development update for the Paradise OS project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you are going to do anything half way decent, I highly advise you use the debian live scripts.

They are in the repos, automate much of the process, and will make a nicer, more polished iso.

See:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...e-build.7.html

http://live-manual.debian.net/manual...manual.en.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...ionFromScratch

http://askubuntu.com/questions/83617...rom-a-manifest

Aye, it is a bit of reading and a learning curve, but well worth the effort.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

^Hmm...might be something to look into later on, but I think I'll stay with Remastersys for the time being. I'll pursue the polish after I have a good, working concept.

When using the Perfectminimal script to install LXDE, is X11 taken care of for you, or do I need to manually do that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast