Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I have no idea, I'd never even heard of it until you started this thread

If that's the case then it probably will just get marked Invalid.
    I guess the question is can you connect to an ethernet cable wired? I also have the b43 wireless driver and I can get mine working after installing the mini.iso.

We really need your hard ware to be tested and get the non-pae kernel working it would be great.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    I guess the question is can you connect to an ethernet cable wired? I also have the b43 wireless driver and I can get mine working after installing the mini.iso.

We really need your hard ware to be tested and get the non-pae kernel working it would be great.
    I don't have access to a wired internet connection, that's the problem. I could probably find one, but I wouldn't have reliable access to it if I needed to keep testing the mini.iso install.

I'm looking into upgrading through an Oneiric install, which is much easier but presents its own bugs, which I'm working through now too.

Beans

Now that I know UNetbootin works fairly easily to create a bootable mini.iso flash drive something I need to look into for those who do not have easy access to a fast wired connection is the possibility of performing a CLI mini.iso installation and then installing the desired desktop environment from an external source, such as a CD or USB created using 'aptoncd' or something similar.

Clear back around Hardy I actually used 'aptoncd' to work on computers in environments that had only dial-up. I live in a rural area and sometimes dial-up is still the only option

I no longer do that, I just use a loaner PC, bring their PC to my home and do the maintenance here. That way I don't have to cart around a bunch of crap. Also better because I can no longer drive due to vision loss

So I think that's possible, challenging but possible.

Any thoughts at all regarding that are welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Now that I know UNetbootin works fairly easily to create a bootable mini.iso flash drive something I need to look into for those who do not have easy access to a fast wired connection is the possibility of performing a CLI mini.iso installation and then installing the desired desktop environment from an external source, such as a CD or USB

Any thoughts at all regarding that are welcome.
    Note, the CD alternate install will still fit on a CD (or USB) find the selection at:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/
    I'm visiting our daughter on a borrowed Thinkpad T60 (Pentium R, no pae flag) so I can't try using the alternate to see which kernel - pae or non-pae - would be installed. Next week at home maybe. Do note in my previous replies I prefer downloading the .iso and booting it directly from hard drive so size doesn't matter.

The Thinkpad T series are still quite responsive and fast,so I'm interested in keeping Ubuntu running on them.

Jerry

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Note, the CD alternate install will still fit on a CD (or USB) find the selection at:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/
    I'm visiting our daughter on a borrowed Thinkpad T60 (Pentium R, no pae flag) so I can't try using the alternate to see which kernel - pae or non-pae - would be installed. Next week at home maybe. Do note in my previous replies I prefer downloading the .iso and booting it directly from hard drive so size doesn't matter.

The Thinkpad T series are still quite responsive and fast,so I'm interested in keeping Ubuntu running on them.

Jerry
    The alternate images use the PAE kernel just like the live images. The only Precise installation media that can be used to install non-pae is the correct mini.iso.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The alternate images use the PAE kernel just like the live images. The only Precise installation media that can be used to install non-pae is the correct mini.iso.
    Yes sir the only way right now..

I did another non-pae build yesterday and it works but I sure got it confused, Still using the unity-greeter for login and running the LXDE desktop versus straight Lubuntu. Looks cool though I like the icons.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro

Found myself a wired internet connection. Unfortunately, I also found Bug 946856.

Beans

Found myself a wired internet connection. Unfortunately, I also found Bug 946856.
    Sorry I haven't had time to check out the Mar 3rd mini.iso yet. I finally got the parts to hopefully deal with my hardware issues. I got one box rebuilt yesterday and I'm going to tackle the second one today

The greatest challenge is finding a way to deal with wireless access only situations. Not sure yet how to deal with that

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ubuntu//dists/precise/ might be ubuntu/dists/precise/ i suppose (double / ?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi folks.
    Feel free to kick me out of here if this is off topic.

Today I managed to install to a Compaq TC1000 tablet (Transmeta T5800 Crusoe 1GHz CPU) using the non-PAE mini iso from March 3rd. It all went pretty smoothly, even to the point of being able to use a USB wireless adaptor (WPA PSK encryption) for the install. Now I just need to cobble together the UI.

I've sacrificed the touch & stylus functions as there are some issues with them for 'everyday use', but that's another story.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast