Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Oh cool, I've been waiting since December for this to become a big deal, haha.

I had to stop testing my Pentium M laptop back in December when they switched the kernel in the LiveCD. I'll start testing the mini iso this weekend and help out. Thanks for the heads up on this install method.

I hear talk about documentation for non-pae computers. I'd be willing to help with this. Had to do it already for the i8xx fiasco back in Lucid
    Let us know how the non-pae mini.iso works for you we will keep this topic as current as possible for those that have the Pentium M and other

processors that are not pae compatible. Kansas are you planning on a wiki page or thread with instructions?
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Let us know how the non-pae mini.iso works for you we will keep this topic as current as possible for those that have the Pentium M and other
    I'm finding this thread very useful - keep it up. Actually this is a notebook with Pentium M with no pae flag, running non-pae 3.2.0-17-generic which was actually installed with the regular mini.iso. Messages said generic-pae-di was being installed but what it actually did was install the generic exactly what I wanted. Runs fine (for an Alpha). Fun installing just what I want and not all the other packages I'll never use.

On my fast tower I've got full boat Unity-3D for testing purposes, and Unity-2D on my netbook.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry

Beans

Kansas are you planning on a wiki page or thread with instructions?
    I won't do a wiki page, but I plan on submitting a how-to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I think Lubuntu will want to update their wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...MinimalInstall

If you look at my OP I pointed to this guide:

http://xbmcmediacenter.com/how-to-in...untu-mini-iso/

I think that's pretty good with a few exceptions (I'd really appreciate some feedback and suggestions here):

* Step seven involves the "host-name". This may confuse some users. The best way I can explain this is:

This is the name used to identify the computer on your network, if you're used to using the live installer it's simply called "computer name" there and it's created for you when you enter your full name and user name, eg;

If your full name is "John Smith", and you keep the user name "john" your computer name will typically be something like "john-desktop".
    * Step ten involves an HTTP proxy. I think the explanation there is generally sufficient, what do you think? I've never had to set up an HTTP proxy so I don't know what to say

* Step twelve involves partitioning and that's always a scary thing, I find it reckless to just say, "Leave it as it is and hit Enter, if you’re not familiar with partitioning disks." No doubt the debian installer does a pretty good job but I think I'll say something like:

Partitioning can be a complex issue so unless you plan on erasing everything on your hard drive(s) please ask for some guidance here before even beginning:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333
    Of course any installation guide should begin by warning of potential data loss

* Step nineteen regards encryption, I never do so. What do you think the appropriate thing to say here is?

* Step twenty one involves what DE to install, I just tried the 20120221 non-pae mini.iso and lubuntu-desktop is still called "Ubuntu LXDE desktop"

* Step twenty three mentions the UTC clock settings and that step no longer exists in the current images.

But we also need to provide a fairly foolproof method of creating a bootable USB, your method is OK but using "dd" can be inherently risky for complete noobs. I wonder why our USB creator won't work with the mini.iso?

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

But we also need to provide a fairly foolproof method of creating a bootable USB, your method is OK but using "dd" can be inherently risky for complete noobs. I wonder why our USB creator won't work with the mini.iso?
    I've had erratic success with USB - what level of what stick on what pc which ubuntu to use for usb create (they're different!) inetbootin, et. al.

Primitive (!) dd could work but dangerous, and and my experience very very fussy about the USB format.

Given I'm using more than one partition for development testing, I've got a ubuntu up so no problem, download the mini.iso, gparted to create a partition, create a grub2 entry, boot the .iso direct, sudo umount -r -l isodevice, and away I go on install. Much less fuss than fiddling with USB.

Same technique works for oversized .iso images media size no issue. zsync an existing .iso and install much faster than mini.iso over network.

I wonder if there is an image which is mini.iso plus the base system up to the tasksel point? Would save me a lot of time since zsync is faster than repeat network loading.

Fun,

Jerry

Beans

I wonder if there is an image which is mini.iso plus the base system up to the tasksel point? Would save me a lot of time since zsync is faster than repeat network loading.
    Not that I'm aware of, but the actual installer is basically the same as the alternate installer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is a little off-topic, but the Debian netinstall iso is about 165MiB if I remember correctly, I don't have a copy available at the moment, but I wonder what is included on it, to make it so much larger.

I pay for a 7.5Mbps internet connection here, I don't find that it takes that much more time to do a full installation using the mini.iso.

The above results show way better speeds than I pay for.
    Last edited by cariboo907; February 23rd, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    This is a little off-topic, but the Debian netinstall iso is about 165MiB if I remember correctly, I don't have a copy available at the moment, but I wonder what is included on it, to make it so much larger.

I pay for a 7.5Mbps internet connection here, I don't find that it takes that much more time to do a full installation using the mini.iso.

The above results show way better speeds than I pay for.
    Wow, that's almost 4X the speed I have

Beans

About my own "how-to", I think I'll go this direction:

Name it something like "How to install a 12.04 (Precise) non-pae system".

Then give a brief explanation of Canonicals decision regarding pae by default, not supporting non-pae beyond 12.04, etc.

Next get into the three options:

#1: Upgrade from 11.10. This should work for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu ..... but I need to check out upgrades from fresh, NOT updated, installations of each.

#2: Upgrade from 10.04. This will NOT work for Lubuntu! But it should work for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. Again I need to test upgrades from fresh, NOT updated, installations of each.

#3: Using the mini.iso. I will NOT offer any option other than burning a CD! With the new Feb 23 mini.iso I once again encountered significant problems creating a bootable USB ....... not sure why, but I won't offer an option that I'm not totally confident in

All thoughts and help are welcome

Beans

Now they broke tasksel and the mini.iso's:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...237/comments/5

Really does make me mad

There's nothing mentioned in the tasksel changelog so I can't even place blame!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's the only choice I had when I installed it last week.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast