Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Yay! mini.iso installed & working fine! (took 3 tries, fumble finger..)

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu precise (development branch)"
    Linux Thinkpad-T40 3.2.0-16-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 02:48:46 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Sure enough,
    grep PAE /boot/config-3.2.0-16-generic
    did not find PAE=Y.

So I got what I wanted.

Curio, as mini was loading, the messages said "...generic-pae-di"
    I don't have a clue what "pae-di" is, I just know I got what I intended since this pc doesn't have the pae flag.

I did make a feeble attempt to look at the debian site but that's way beyond me.

Good go. Jerry

p.s. This note may not be on topic on this thread, since the mini.iso used was the regular one and not the non-pae one, all I know is I got the non-pae kernel.

Oh, one of the fumble fingers, I selected lubutnu but didn't select print server and/or samba server, so I didn't get any network. I've go the book but no clue how to install anything with no network. Re-install working fine.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; February 16th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Yay! mini.iso installed & working fine! (took 3 tries, fumble finger..)

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu precise (development branch)"
    Linux Thinkpad-T40 3.2.0-16-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 02:48:46 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Sure enough,
    grep PAE /boot/config-3.2.0-16-generic
    did not find PAE=Y.

So I got what I wanted.

Curio, as mini was loading, the messages said "...generic-pae-di"
    I don't have a clue what "pae-di" is, I just know I got what I intended since this pc doesn't have the pae flag.

I did make a feeble attempt to look at the debian site but that's way beyond me.

Good go. Jerry

p.s. This note may not be on topic on this thread, since the mini.iso used was the regular one and not the non-pae one, all I know is I got the non-pae kernel.

Oh, one of the fumble fingers, I selected lubutnu but didn't select print server and/or samba server, so I didn't get any network. I've go the book but no clue how to install anything with no network. Re-install working fine.
    I certainly think it's OT enough. I just wish we could figure why your hardware has generally unusual results

As I've said, I'm clueless

Beans

Has anyone else used an actual CD to install using a mini.iso? I find it quite difficult to remove the CD, particularly so on one set of testing hardware.

On my old VIA hardware with an IDE CD/DVD writer when I reboot I can pretty easily eject the disc during reboot, that is the drive tray remains open until I close it.

But on my Intel box with a super great SATA ASUS CD/DVD writer trying to eject the disc is tricky because the BIOS screen passes quickly and the drive tray retracts almost too quickly for my arthritic old hand to handle

I just wonder if it's worth filing a bug report over????

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I certainly think it's OT enough. I just wish we could figure why your hardware has generally unusual results

As I've said, I'm clueless
    Well, I'd appreciate more results from more people posted here....looking at one bug report, I forget the #, there reports on Thinkpad T42 Pentium R. I don't know if they are continuing to try things or just gave up.

Jerry

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Well, I'd appreciate more results from more people posted here....looking at one bug report, I forget the #, there reports on Thinkpad T42 Pentium R. I don't know if they are continuing to try things or just gave up.

Jerry
    Sort of laughing at myself ATM. I meant you're on topic, not off topic. I guess it's time to trash the abbreviation "OT"

I agree about the need for additional testers. I have no effected hardware and I'd love to see more of those with non-pae hardware do some testing.

But even if nothing gets fixed/changed with the mini.iso's we could explain our way around it

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Sort of laughing at myself ATM. I meant you're on topic, not off topic. I guess it's time to trash the abbreviation "OT"

I agree about the need for additional testers. I have no effected hardware and I'd love to see more of those with non-pae hardware do some testing.

But even if nothing gets fixed/changed with the mini.iso's we could explain our way around it
    Yes i was wondering how Jerry was off topic there??!!

My last minimal install non-pae does have one minor problem that I am researching, When i boot it waits

for the network configuration ...then waits 60 seconds ...then boots without network configuration.. takes a

few minutes to boot this partition.. After I log in No Problem..

Network Configuration wireless is working fine..

But we do have some working non-pae kernels running Lubuntu

I am still going to test the CD installs this weekend..
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro

Resolved my slow booting by commenting out references to the auto eth0..

in etc/network/interfaces. Now my mini.iso install takes only a few seconds from boot

to working. Super fast start up I may run some tests to see just how fast it is

compared to my other versions. Of course it is very light and if I did not add dropbox

and others that I think I must have it would be even faster.
    Boot Info Script

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Resolved my slow booting by commenting out references to the auto eth0..

in etc/network/interfaces. Now my mini.iso install takes only a few seconds from boot

to working. Super fast start up I may run some tests to see just how fast it is

compared to my other versions. Of course it is very light and if I did not add dropbox

and others that I think I must have it would be even faster.
    My previous network problem ended up being BIOS related, and for some reason I don't understand my new TP-LINK router works better (maybe should say easier) than my older TrendNet router.

Before retirement I worked with telecom/data cable manufacturing and I even did some LAN wiring, but I never had to deal with "delivery" from WAN to LAN, nor anything regarding home networks, so I get lost when it comes to home networking problems

Beans
    Distro

My previous network problem ended up being BIOS related, and for some reason I don't understand my new TP-LINK router works better (maybe should say easier) than my older TrendNet router.

Before retirement I worked with telecom/data cable manufacturing and I even did some LAN wiring, but I never had to deal with "delivery" from WAN to LAN, nor anything regarding home networks, so I get lost when it comes to home networking problems
    I have decided today that I am going to get bootchart running on all my versions just for comparison sake. That mini.iso install running Lubuntu 12.04 that I got working is fast as lightning on my Dell D620 and I want to know what that lightning time is...

Besides, I might find some start-up bloat on my others versions that can be removed.
    Boot Info Script

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

BTW. mini.iso booted (from hard drive as above) accessed wireless just fine and installed fine over wireless. Well, it took a while.........

Resulting precise pangolin also got wireless, do note that I checked off print server and samba server - we have a home network - and lubuntu. I tried installing without the servers and didn't get any network at all.

From time to time ubuntu distros of late when booting is looking for eth0 which isn't attached. Wireless came up as eth1.

There wasn't any network applet, so I did a sudo apt-get install network-manager (my opinion, notwork-mangler) which put the applet on the panel working fine.

Jerry

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast