Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Just BTW the mini.iso lists available installation options named just like they appear in 'tasksel':

    Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ tasksel --list-task
    u server	Basic Ubuntu server
    u openssh-server	OpenSSH server
    u dns-server	DNS server
    u lamp-server	LAMP server
    u mail-server	Mail server
    u openstack	Openstack
    u postgresql-server	PostgreSQL database
    i print-server	Print server
    u samba-server	Samba file server
    u tomcat-server	Tomcat Java server
    u cloud-image	Ubuntu Cloud Image (instance)
    u virt-host	Virtual Machine host
    u ubuntustudio-graphics	2D/3D creation and editing suite
    u ubuntustudio-recording	Audio recording and editing suite
    u edubuntu-desktop-kde	Edubuntu KDE desktop (unsupported)
    u edubuntu-desktop-gnome	Edubuntu desktop
    u kubuntu-desktop	Kubuntu desktop
    u kubuntu-full	Kubuntu full
    u kubuntu-mobile	Kubuntu mobile
    u ubuntustudio-audio-plugins	LADSPA/LV2/DSSI audio plugins
    u ubuntustudio-font-meta	Large selection of font packages
    u lubuntu-core	Lubuntu minimal installation
    u mythbuntu-desktop	Mythbuntu additional roles
    u mythbuntu-frontend	Mythbuntu frontend
    u mythbuntu-backend-master	Mythbuntu master backend
    u mythbuntu-backend-slave	Mythbuntu slave backend
    u ubuntustudio-generation	Tone generation and editing suite
    u lubuntu-desktop	Ubuntu LXDE Desktop
    i ubuntu-desktop	Ubuntu desktop
    u ubuntu-usb	Ubuntu desktop USB
    u ubuntustudio-video	Video creation and editing suite
    u xubuntu-desktop	Xubuntu desktop
    u edubuntu-dvd-live	Edubuntu live DVD
    u kubuntu-mobile-live	Kubuntu Mobile Remix live CD
    u kubuntu-live	Kubuntu live CD
    u kubuntu-dvd-live	Kubuntu live DVD
    u lubuntu-live	Lubuntu live CD
    u ubuntustudio-dvd-live	Ubuntu Studio live DVD
    u ubuntu-live	Ubuntu live CD
    u ubuntu-dvd-live	Ubuntu live DVD
    u ubuntu-usb-live	Ubuntu live USB
    u xubuntu-live	Xubuntu live CD
    u manual	Manual package selection

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Found another link with some good screenshots:

    http://xbmcmediacenter.com/how-to-in...untu-mini-iso/

    Having a load of trouble creating a bootable usb flash drive though

    I personally don't care about wasting CD's, the cost is low, but I imagine some are going to need to use usb.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Found another link with some good screenshots:

    http://xbmcmediacenter.com/how-to-in...untu-mini-iso/

    Having a load of trouble creating a bootable usb flash drive though

    I personally don't care about wasting CD's, the cost is low, but I imagine some are going to need to use usb.
    I never use CDs anymore but the dd method works well for me and has since OO. Colin W made the isos hybrids/bootable... it is so slick.

    The mini.iso will show up as CDROM I think but it will work (at least it does for me).
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    I never use CDs anymore but the dd method works well for me and has since OO. Colin W made the isos hybrids/bootable... it is so slick.

    The mini.iso will show up as CDROM I think but it will work (at least it does for me).
    Not sure why, but what I've found following your guide is that it works perfect if I use the whole flash drive, but not if I partition the flash drive and use only the 1st partition to dd to.

    I'm guessing because doing so installs isolinux to a pbr rather than an mbr, but I'm purely guessing there

    I wonder why our usb-creator can't create a bootable mini.iso?

    I do want to be sure to create a fairly safe, "noob freindly" guide for creating a usb bootable mini.iso before we're done

    BTW, thanks again for helping out, it really is appreciated.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Not sure why, but what I've found following your guide is that it works perfect if I use the whole flash drive, but not if I partition the flash drive and use only the 1st partition to dd to.

    I'm guessing because doing so installs isolinux to a pbr rather than an mbr, but I'm purely guessing there

    I wonder why our usb-creator can't create a bootable mini.iso?

    I do want to be sure to create a fairly safe, "noob freindly" guide for creating a usb bootable mini.iso before we're done

    BTW, thanks again for helping out, it really is appreciated.
    Yes sir, you do need to use the whole flash drive. We found that out when first testing them with Oneiric. I just keep using the same 4GB flash drive and reformatting it to Fat32 and put whatever I am wanting to install on it. I have more trouble getting it reformatted than anything else. I find that I can put the mini.iso on in seconds and a full desktop iso on in under 4 minutes.. Slick.. slick it saves me mucho time and of course I use zsync to keep my desktop and alternate isos up to date.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Totally 110% OT, but man-oh-man I'm cold

    I got chilled yesterday, stayed outside too long, and I just can't get warm. I'm thinking I need some of those silly looking gloves w/o fingers so I can still type

    Sorry to go OT

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Totally 110% OT, but man-oh-man I'm cold

    I got chilled yesterday, stayed outside too long, and I just can't get warm. I'm thinking I need some of those silly looking gloves w/o fingers so I can still type

    Sorry to go OT
    NP it is your topic. I am trapped in a warm utility system operation control room with no linux available pity me... Well the SCADAs that I administer run Unix it is close enough.

    I guess to do every sort of testing I will burn some mini.isos' on CD as well. Hmmmm where are those CDs?

    I will keep trying the mini.iso installs as many ways as possible confining my attempts to non-pae kernels and Lubuntu Core and Desktop for now.

    I might even assist you during the next beta cycle testing but as I still a working man, my time is limited but I am fast
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Well we need to test both USB and CD installs and ATM I'm looking into the issue of the CD being difficult to eject.

    I changed a lot of stuff on that bug report about renaming Ubuntu LXDE to Lubuntu.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,349

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Wow, an updated image on the 14th and again on the 15th

    That's odd for a netboot image.

    I may wait until Friday before testing again.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NM
    Beans
    1,121
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Wow, an updated image on the 14th and again on the 15th

    That's odd for a netboot image.

    I may wait until Friday before testing again.
    I am trying the non-pae mini.iso 20120214 right now and might try the 20120215 tomorrow. I am going to select the lubuntu-core from taskel and save time.. maybe? Will let you know how well the non-pae pays

    Okay, I got another clean non-pae installation using the 20120214 non-pae mini.iso and installed lubuntu-minimal. Installed Synaptic then firefox, network manager to get wireless, firmware-b43-installer from my wireless, a few others... Used my trusty USB drive to put the mini.iso on using the "dd" method. Here is a pix of the kernel.
    and pix of the System Tools LOL probably need more if I keep this partition alive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nm_geo; February 16th, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •