Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

mini.iso, pae version, booted O.K. on my IBM Thinkpad T40 which does not have the pae flag. To do this, I added the following to the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom being careful to leave what was already in the file

menuentry "pangolin mini" {
    set isofile="/boot/iso/minipae.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
    linux (loop)/linux boot=/ iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
    }

As you see above, I have the .iso in a folder /boot/iso. Your option. sudo update-grub and reboot the mini.

mini booted O.K. directly from the hard drive, no problem with the missing flag.

As it installed, messages were 3.2.0-15-generic-pae however after booting it up O.K. the boot and /proc/version is 3.2.0.15-generic which is running fine.

Well, I'm used to a whole lubuntu (or unity) setup so there's a lot missing.

What's running on the T40 now is (Lucid Lynx of course), three precise pangolins:

One updated from Oneiric, non-pae

One new install from 20120207 which is generic-pae not supposed to run but does. My opinion, the test for the flag is missing/doesn't work so it goes on and boots and runs O.K.

One mini install from the pae mini but did result in non-pae generic. A whole lot of accesories & tools missing but did just get synaptic and even firefox up and running.

Oh, they're all lubuntu's. I've got unity on other test pc's.

Having fun,

Jerry
    Last edited by jerrylamos; February 14th, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Beans

Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    mini.iso, pae version, booted O.K. on my IBM Thinkpad T40 which does not have the pae flag. To do this, I added the following to the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom being careful to leave what was already in the file

set isofile="/boot/iso/minipae.iso"
    initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
    }

As you see above, I have the .iso in a folder /boot/iso. Your option. sudo update-grub and reboot the mini.

mini booted O.K. directly from the hard drive, no problem with the missing flag.

As it installed, messages were 3.2.0-15-generic-pae however after booting it up O.K. the boot and /proc/version is 3.2.0.15-generic which is running fine.

Well, I'm used to a whole lubuntu (or unity) setup so there's a lot missing.

What's running on the T40 now is (Lucid Lynx of course), three precise pangolins:

One updated from Oneiric, non-pae

One new install from 20120207 which is generic-pae not supposed to run but does. My opinion, the test for the flag is missing/doesn't work so it goes on and boots and runs O.K.

One mini install from the pae mini but did result in non-pae generic. A whole lot of accesories & tools missing but did just get synaptic and even firefox up and running.

Oh, they're all lubuntu's. I've got unity on other test pc's.

Having fun,

Jerry
    No doubt you've had irregular results with pae running where non-pae should be needed. I applaud your efforts, but my intention here is to test the non-pae mini.iso and provide very simple installation guidelines

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    No doubt you've had irregular results with pae running where non-pae should be needed. I applaud your efforts, but my intention here is to test the non-pae mini.iso and provide very simple installation guidelines
    Sure. My point is the mini.iso pae version did in fact install the generic non-pae version. If it does that, then why is there another mini.iso non-pae needed?

Just curious.

Jerry

Beans

Regarding that language support issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/931191

This is what I see, in the order I see it:

Screenshot at 2012-02-13 20_05_58.png

Then I click on Run this action now, and get this:

Screenshot at 2012-02-13 20_07_06.jpg

Then I click on Install and get this:

Screenshot at 2012-02-13 20_10_11.jpg

Then I click on close and get this:

Screenshot at 2012-02-13 20_16_39.jpg

It seems that if I click on "apply system wide" that would be appropriate but I still get further warnings on reboot

Does anyone understand this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Sure. My point is the mini.iso pae version did in fact install the generic non-pae version. If it does that, then why is there another mini.iso non-pae needed?

Just curious.

Jerry
    No freaking idea

Beans

Don't know how I overlooked this as I often visit Aysiu's page:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

BTW, I realize that's for a CLI install whereas I'm going for actual desktop installs, that way there is no need for a lot of commands, but a lot of that applies!
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 14th, 2012 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm performing some testing with the standard PAE version of the Precise mini.iso right now, and I've edited my OP quite a bit, but next I'm going to test the Oneiric mini.iso just as a matter of checking for differences in behavior.

The Oneiric version is here:

http://www.us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubu...mages/netboot/

I particularly want to see if the Oneiric version has the same language support issue and if it's equally difficult to eject the CD when installation is complete.

One more thing, I have a spare flash drive and given how seldom the iso is updated I do intend to try using a flash drive ............... not too sure how to accomplish that
    Since Oneric I believe the isos are made bootable from a flash drive. I know the precise isos are as I have installed at least 3 new installs this way. I do make sure the flash drive has no data on it and format/reformat it to FAT 32.. Just like it comes when new.

Here is the way I do it.

I keep my isos in a folder called isos.. original huh? LOL
    I make sure in terminal that I am in the correct directory run a ls command to see my isos listed.

Important
    Your flash drive might not be sdb mine is (check first)

then

sudo dd if=mini.iso of=/dev/sdb

I change mini.iso to whatever iso I am working with in Ubuntu. The process is pretty fast and your terminal will show nothing while the process is going on. You might see the flash drive flashing and the HD working. After the process is complete it will tell you how many bytes were copied to the flash drive.

I have done this with the mini.iso trying to get a clean non-pae kernel in Lubuntu i386. No luck yet but the flash drive boots well.

Others recommenmd netbootin or cd-creator but I find the dd method simpler and faster. The process works for me with the Live CD isos and Alternate isos too.

As many warn you need to be careful with the dd command if you get the wrong sdx you will write to whatever device you select.

Needless to say my BIOS is setup to boot from USB so I just reboot and Bingo the flash drive loads the iso.

Here is the conversation in the Archived Oneric Forum.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...dd+flash+drive
    Last edited by nm_geo; February 14th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Ok sorry kansas..

I did load up the 20120209 non-pae mini.iso..
    I used the install option .. wish I had tried command line I think
    The taskel on the 20120209 version had no Lubuntu or Ubuntu LXDE
    I picked manual software option..
    Eventually everything installed except for a UI (desktop)
    I tried lubuntu-desktop not available.. bummer.. (Should have sudo apt-get update first I bet)
    So I typed in Ubuntu-desktop and watched for nearly an hour (maybe 30 min really)
    Well after I got the Ubuntu straight running I load the lubuntu-desktop and I will be uninstalling things for awhile
    if I keep this install. It be running pretty well considering.

I will try the 20120214 non-pae mini.iso tonight or tomorrow..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans

I didn't see all of the UI options the first time around. It's a long list, you have to use the up and down keyboard arrow keys to scroll the entire list of options.

I may try the new build later tonight. I got side tracked this morning with 10.04.4 iso-testing, and then got wrapped up in a nagging hardware issue that's been haunting me for weeks

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post
    Needless to say my BIOS is setup to boot from USB so I just reboot and Bingo the flash drive loads the iso.
    I have a couple testing pc's that won't boot from bios. To test out an iso I just download it in a folder, preferably in partition /dev/sda1 although I have used /dev/sda. In this example the folder is /boot/iso. For larger .iso's I use zsync.

Then I sudo leafpad (or gedit) /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add the following lines to the existing lines, for a mini iso in this case:

Code:
    set isofile="/boot/iso/mini.iso"
    initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
    }
    Then do a sudo update-grub

Reboot, select the mini, see how it goes.

After messing around for a while, should I decide to try an install, I boot the mini.iso again, un-mount the isofile as follows
    sudo umount -r -l /dev/sda1
    then install. I prefer to prepare a partition ahead of time with gparted.

I see there's a Feb 15 update to mini.iso. Let me give it a try, minimal fuss just download the .iso and reboot since grub is already set up.

Jerry

p.s. An actual install over the net is slow here, we have the cheapest i.e. slowest broadband that our carrier offers.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast