Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Beans

Re: The non-pae mini.iso testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    Hi folks.
    Feel free to kick me out of here if this is off topic.

Today I managed to install to a Compaq TC1000 tablet (Transmeta T5800 Crusoe 1GHz CPU) using the non-PAE mini iso from March 3rd. It all went pretty smoothly, even to the point of being able to use a USB wireless adaptor (WPA PSK encryption) for the install. Now I just need to cobble together the UI.

I've sacrificed the touch & stylus functions as there are some issues with them for 'everyday use', but that's another story.
    Not off-topic at all. Hope to hear the whole story, especially regarding wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Started with the non-pae mini.iso..20120303
    installed the lubuntu-core (minimal)
    Got a clean install then proceed to apt-get synaptic then used it to lubuntu-desktop
    Added to many of my choice things..

Then decided I would just see about the remastersys creates a distribution custom.iso.. So I did..
    It worked as liveCD and had an install icon for custom.iso
    SOOOOo.. just did that too.

Only thing that went wrong I have no option where to install the grub so it obviously in my MBR ...
    I will fix that not a problem back to my Lucid partition.

Secondly the custom.iso is really to large about 803MB at this point so i will trim off the LXDE and other stuff i plugged in on the next attempt.. Anyway I am pleased as puddin..
    Last edited by nm_geo; March 11th, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: had wrong iso date 03-Mar-2012
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans

Most of the steps seem pretty straight forward, up to the point of the selection of the desktop. If my goal is to replicate the installation that would be produced from the Ubuntu CD iso image, I assume I'd choose Ubuntu Desktop.

What is not clear to me is whether or not this includes all applications and packages contained in the standard cd image file, e.g. LibreOffice, Firefox, Gedit, Network Manager, etc. Will these packages need to be added after the Unity Desktop package completes? Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but I've never completed an install from the mini.iso.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bubbajunk View Post
    Most of the steps seem pretty straight forward, up to the point of the selection of the desktop. If my goal is to replicate the installation that would be produced from the Ubuntu CD iso image, I assume I'd choose Ubuntu Desktop.

What is not clear to me is whether or not this includes all applications and packages contained in the standard cd image file, e.g. LibreOffice, Firefox, Gedit, Network Manager, etc. Will these packages need to be added after the Unity Desktop package completes? Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but I've never completed an install from the mini.iso.
    If you go to packages.ubuntu.com, and search for ubuntu-desktop, you get a listing of all the packages that are a part of the ubuntu-desktop meta-package.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bubbajunk View Post

The short answer is yes. It will take typically an hour or more to get all the packages automatically downloaded and installed. But when you think about it, if you do not have the full regular desktop-iso and you download it that takes quite awhile to do as well.

The beauty of the mini.iso is that you can customize the install the way you want it particularly if you do the ubuntu-core or the lubuntu-core first then boot the install. Then build from that install and get exactly what you want.

Of course, when you are not sure exactly how you want it the ubuntu-desktop would be a good choice. Just be very patient it takes awhile for sure.
    Boot Info Script

Beans

I see there's a new March 14th image. I have a doctors appointment today but maybe this evening I can check it out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I see there's a new March 14th image. I have a doctors appointment today but maybe this evening I can check it out
    Now that's tempting.

On the other hand the TC1000 is working quite well. I even managed to install ndiswrapper from a tar.gz - which was a first for me. (That was to get a different USB wireless adaptor working).

Decisions, decisions...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Got it.. will dd to a Flash drive & check later..
    Last edited by nm_geo; March 16th, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Boot Info Script

Beans
    Distro

Notice there was a new mini.iso dated 20120315 today... Never got the 20120314 iso tested but at least the new one worked okay. Mine was built to the Lubuntu-desktop non-pae kernel and it is doing just fine so far. Well i did get a apport bug right after booting the install..

Here is the link for the non-pae mini.iso

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/non-pae/

Just in case you need it or want to test a mini.iso build with the non-pae kernel.

Out
    Boot Info Script

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu 12.04 desktop has a non-pae kernel as of last spin

Linux tester-Latitude-D620 3.2.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 16 16:26:45 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Not sure why the Mar 16 date this was zsynced today 20120319.

Anyway got a clean install and updated the qa-tracker.
    Boot Info Script

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast