Thread: Computer restarting continously

Beans
    Hidden!

Computer restarting continously

Last week, I was laying in bed when I heard my computer restart. I glanced over at it and it was stuck at loading the master boot record off my hard drive. I didn't have the time to investigate, so I tried powering it off by holding down the power button. It did nothing, nor did the restart button, and I had to remove the power cord.

Now, every time I push the power button, it turns on for a couple of seconds, then it turns off for a few seconds, then back on for a copule of seconds, and the process repeats.

So far, I have tried clearing CMOS, removing my sticks of ram, and a different power supply, but I haven't had any luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

This is a custom-buit computer with the following specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz
    EVGA GeForce 9800GTX
    4gbs mushkin ddr3 ram
    2 640gb 7200rpm Western Digigal hdd's
    20x Sony DVD+/-R SATA
    750watt Corsair PSU

EDIT: This ended up being a motherboard issue. Apparently, the board was struck with the infamous Gigabyte 'boot loop.' I ended up RMA'ing the board, and everything is working perfectly now
    Last edited by pissedoffdude; March 6th, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Computer restarting continously

This is a quick guess.

Faulty on/off switch on the case. It is making and breaking the electrical circuit repeatedly. Or a loose power connection from the power supply to the on/off switch. Or somewhere. look for the failure of a physical component such as the on/off switch or a connector or a wire.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Your on the right track, just keep ruling things out.

I would first start with just the motherboard with power attached and watch the lights to see if still the reboot cycle. If it not, next add the monitor - then drives and continue until you find the culprit.

you can rule out power switch be just jumppering those pins.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

But I still haven't gotten it to work

I notice that it stays on whenever I remove power to the cpu. Could that mean it's a cpu problem, and if so, how would I go about confirming this?