Thread: Retrieving Documents

Hybrid View

Beans

Retrieving Documents

Hello All,

My other Thread is getting me nowhere really fast.

So let me ask you this. Is there a way to retrieve my Documents from my old Ubuntu, that is not working correctly, and download them unto a thumb drive, so I can reinstall Ubuntu, fix the problem and not loose my Documents?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Retrieving Documents

Hi
    yeah you can . make a Live USB/CD and run live environment . from there you can get your data to pen drive and then you can do it .

if you got any problem let us know .

All the best .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

You might as well be speaking German to me. How do I go about this?

Beans
    Hidden!

What computer is it? Does it boot at all? If not, do you have a CD drive, or would you need to boot from a USB drive? Can you use (borrow?) another computer in order to make it?

In that case, I suggest to download an iso image of the same version you run (unless you have it already). Use unetbootin to create the USB boot drive. Ask so that we understand what information you need!

Beans

Thanks for the help. I got it done some how. Have fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SAltonS View Post
    Hello All,

My other Thread is getting me nowhere really fast.

So let me ask you this. Is there a way to retrieve my Documents from my old Ubuntu, that is not working correctly, and download them unto a thumb drive, so I can reinstall Ubuntu, fix the problem and not loose my Documents?

Thanks
    The easiest way to get files is to create a bootable USB, or a Live CD and boot your computer from that, then mount the drive that holds your documents and copy them to another drive.

Probably the toughest lesson we all have to learn is the importance of backing up our files - regularly - in case something goes wrong...as it almost certainly will at some point. Backing up is a good habit to cultivate.

Hopefully you will be able to retreive all your files, this time.

[Edit: Here's where to find all the info about creating a live CD or USB drive http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
    It's really easy to do (if I can do it, you know it's easy!)
    Last edited by Jay Car; February 11th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Thanks MOM!!! Just kidding. I really am not the important of a person, that my files are that important or sensitive but you are correct and I am going to start doing that as soon as I learn how.

I have retrieved my document and am reinstalling Ubuntu as we speak.