Thread: Wordpress Media Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wordpress Media Problem

I installed Wordpress on my server and I can create text / formatted blog entries. But, I'm having trouble with using uploaded media. I am logged in as the site administrator. I can upload an image and save changes, but when I try to insert the image into a post, WordPress just freezes. I can log out and log back in and find the picture. The media uploads just fine, which makes me think my permissions are not the problem. (chmod -R 777) I just can't use the uploaded files.

Anyone have any experience fixing this?

I am self-hosting Wordpress on an old desktop that has been upcycled into a cheap server. It is running 11.10 and I am using the copy of WordPress from the repos.

Nothing fancy.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wordpress Media Problem

Why use the Repos? I always download WordPress straight from the site.

Who do you have set as owner of the Wordpress directory? You should have it set to www-data, which will allow WP to do automatic updates and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tend to use software from the Ubuntu repos, so I don't have to worry about security updates. Some web stuff does a good job of automatically updating. Some does not. I usually think it is easier to use the stuff in the repos, rather than going solo, but that may not be the best approach in this case.

But, either way, using the repo software isn't my problem here. Over-all, WP appears to work properly. It just jams when I try to insert a picture into a post. It can upload / save the picture just fine (permissions appear to be fine for uploading at least).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I looked at the folder where I had installed wordpress. I thought I had run chown on it, but apparently I did not, because wp-uploads was owned by www-data but the wordpress installation folder was not. Thanks.

Unfortunately, changing the ownership of the folder from root to www-data didn't appear to change the behavior of wordpress. Perhaps I should try installing from the web. This certainly isn't working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Dngrsone

After fighting with this on and off again for several weeks, I finally tried installing from Wordpress directly. I should have done this earlier, since it resolved all of my problems.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    @Dngrsone

After fighting with this on and off again for several weeks, I finally tried installing from Wordpress directly. I should have done this earlier, since it resolved all of my problems.

Thanks
    Glad you got it straightened out.