Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Windows Vista Beta 2 (With Vmware without burning ISO file) On Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Windows Vista Beta 2 (With Vmware without burning ISO file) On Dap

Quote Originally Posted by bluevoodoo1
    Anyone's internet working with Vista? All other OSes that I've got working with vmware have had internet working, but not Vista. Probably a blessing in disguise...
    It didnt work for me first.. but go to Control Panel and setup a connection, as usual on Windows. On XP it worked on my first boot, but in Vista I had to do this.

But yes it works if you do that. Maybe I should add this to the howto? Well its here now, I will do it when I get some more time.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Windows Vista Beta 2 (With Vmware without burning ISO file) On Dap

http://rbancer.2.ag/Screenshot.png
    im on my way to making my virtual windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers
    It didnt work for me first.. but go to Control Panel and setup a connection, as usual on Windows. On XP it worked on my first boot, but in Vista I had to do this.

But yes it works if you do that. Maybe I should add this to the howto? Well its here now, I will do it when I get some more time.

Strange, it won't find my network hardware. It's a simple ethernet connection.. eh... oh well!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bluevoodoo1
    Strange, it won't find my network hardware. It's a simple ethernet connection.. eh... oh well!
    Yeah I got a simply connection too. Normally it would work on first boot.. did both with ubuntu, gentoo, knoppix and windows xp. But in Vista I had to manually set it up.

While I was setting up the internet connection on Vista, it stopped and told me I already had a running and working connection. After that, it worked!

Before that it didnt. I had rebooted into it like 5 times, before doing this, and with no internet access.

Did you remember to install the Vmware tools?

My experiance is, that Network Brigde works best.
    What kind of connection did you setup for the virtual machine in Vmware?

EDIT:
    Okey im running Vista now, full screen, and made a screenshot of the Internet connection place. Try mess with some stuff there, and Im sure you will make it work.

(A little offtopic)
    The New explorer.exe is really a lot like Gnome! Also when I wanted to save my screenshot (using mspaint ) it actually suggested .Png format as default!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	10966  
    Last edited by aktiwers; June 10th, 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers
    Did you remember to install the Vmware tools?
    Ah ha! Yes, installing vmware tools fixed it! Thanks!

Sidenote: What do you know about the "14 days left to activate" from the
    Control Panel > Maintenance > System area??

Does it actually countdown until someone activates it? (perhaps tomorrow I will find this out for myself!)

Beans

i just got everything to work, but i dont have a dvd burner/player everything worked fine until i put in my product key and then the installer said it couldnt find the cd. is there a waya round this, since the iso is on my harddrive can i trick it into thinking i have a cd in while it is just loading off my harddrive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

vmware doesn't work as a command in the terminal.. it says 'command not found'

Code:
    jnev@jnev:~$ vmware
    bash: vmware: command not found
    I already had vmware installed running windows xp, and I just installed it again from the repos to try and rectify the problem. no love though. any help?

Beans

ok say i allocated 10 gigs to a vmware OS...but i decided to ditch it...how do i get that 10 gigs back?
    ok i went into /var/lib/vmware/virtual_machines and erased the dir
    Last edited by raffytaffy; June 10th, 2006 at 05:44 AM.

Beans

Under good old vmware (workstation one), you can easily destroy a Virtual Machine. Also, you have to option to have a dynamically growing virtual hard drive instead of making it for good at the first time you run your virtual machine.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Well I just tried it, and no luck with the vista installation. Text in windows was missing, a dll reported missing.. I have attached screenshots. I guess my ISO must have been corrupted or something...

Can someone generate me a quick md5sum (or better yet some par2s) for the english 32bit version?
    I get a md5sum of:
    0e733ab1a8e8ff9a8684fd3639332773 *vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vista1.png 
Views:	1460 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	10978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vista2.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	10979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vista3.png 
Views:	1600 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	10980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vista4.png 
Views:	547 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	10981  
    Last edited by Kza; June 10th, 2006 at 05:45 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast