Thread: Ubuntu Ask me for shut-down over and over.

Beans

Ubuntu Ask me for shut-down over and over.

Hi, Last year I have bought an HTPC, resized his w7 partition and installed Ubuntu on it (now evolved to 11.10).

The main software I use is XBMC axed out to watch movies and listen music, but sometimes I minimize XBMC and use a browser or other programs.

Since about september, as soon I minimize XBMC (it can be running for weeks) I start to get the "System is about to shut-down" windows over and over and over. No matter if I press the CANCEL button, I get immediatly the windows again.

It is very annoying, because this situation can last for 2 minutes or for 15 minutes, and don't let me do anything in my system, if I simply move the windows again, my system get shuted down at 60 seconds.

I don't have any Idea on what is triggering the shut-down, neither wich log to rad to have a clue on what is happening.

The only solution I'm figuring is reinstalling ubuntu, but its a thing that i wich really to avoid.

can anyone help me on figuring what can be the problem?

thanks a lot

Sebastian from Argentina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Ask me for shut-down over and over.

could it be an update failed and that bugged your system for continuous restart? or it is a kernel bug - try another kernel version to see if that fixes your problem.

Also, if none of the above caused it consider making a reinstall of ubuntu.

Regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

how do I try another kernel version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: Ubuntu Ask me for shut-down over and over.

If you've had an Ubuntu install for a while, you may have had a few kernel updates. You can revert to a previous kernel in the GRUB boot menu, it may be hidden under "previous Ubuntu versions" or something like that.

Attached is a screenshot of mine showing how you can check in Synaptic Package Manager which kernel(s) you have, the ones with a green square. I have the 2.6.38-11 , 2.6.38-12 and 2.6.38-13 kernels installed (Ubuntu 11.04).

If you don't have Synaptic, you can get it in the Software Center.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blackbird34; January 7th, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: clarity
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans

is there a way to track who triggered the shutdown?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by qsebas View Post
    is there a way to track who triggered the shutdown?
    of course, watch the logs: /var/log/ and .xsession-errors

like your room, your distro needs some maintenance to run smootly

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu Ask me for shut-down over and over.

Hello! I have the same problem than QSebas. I have a vanilla Ubuntu 11.10 (as it gets installed from the DVD) no problem with that until I installed the last udates a few days ago, and now I have the same rebooting problem. In my case it doesn't wait the 60 seconds, it says that the system needs to reboot and 2 seconds after that it shut down the notebook (LG 550).
    It happens 10 minutes after I start any video online, at youtube for example. It could be a flash related issue?

of course, watch the logs: /var/log/ and .xsession-errors
    I dindn't find anithing in those logs that could indicate a request of shut down the machine.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Cosme; February 10th, 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added more info.