Thread: Kmail GPG Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Kmail GPG Issues

I've been trying to figure out how to get Kmail working with OpenGPG (actually I'm just trying to set up a launchpad account). I can't seem to get this working, though. I was able to setup pgp-agent, generate a key and a passphrase and what not, and I seem to be able to import it into Kmail OK. However, when I try to compose a message, digitally sign it, and send it, I get a bad passphrase error. Also, when I try to decrypt a signed message (actually launchpad's Confirm Your OpenPGP Key email), I get this error:

You just entered an invalid passphrase.
    Do you want to try again, or cancel and view the message undecrypted?
    But, I never get a dialogue box to actually type a passphrase in. I just keeps giving me an error without a way to actually type it in.

From some advice around the net, I installed kgpg, made sure that my gpg.conf file had "use gpg-agent" uncommented, and created a gpg-agent.conf file with the following:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt4
    default-cache-ttl 3600
    allow-mark-trusted
    debug-level basic
    From what I read, the system can have a hard time finding the pinentry program and this file is needed to fix it. However, after both restarting the system and manually killing then restarting gpg-agent, I'm still getting the error.

I also found some information about changing some settings under Kmail's Settings -> Configure KMail -> Security tab -> Crypto Backends from this guide. But, I don't seem to have a "Crypto Backends" tab in my settings.

I really don't like Kmail and am going to replace it when I have the time to migrate everything over. For now, though, does anyone have a solution for me to get this up and running?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kmail GPG Issues

Well, I think I may have fixed this. It looks like something was preventing pinentry from appropriately running, in addition to, gpg using the wrong socket. I created a new socket, pointed GPG to it, and rebooted, and it seems that Kmail is now giving me a passphrase entry box. Still a little fuzzy on just how this thing falls together and how I fixed it....but, it's enough to mark the thread as solved