Thread: Portada - An album art screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Portada - An album art screensaver

Something I always wanted, having seen it on a friend's Macbook, was an album art screensaver. I couldn't find a single one for Ubuntu, so I decided to create one.

Portada is Spanish for 'front cover', and this screensaver pulls album art from your Banshee cache and displays it as animated tiles - so you will need to use Banshee as your default music player (hey, it's the best one!).

A couple of gotchas:
    • You will need a working graphics driver as it's built with Clutter.
    • Does not run well on very old machines.
    • Best suited to higher resolution, 16:9 displays. It should work on nearly any resolution and most normal aspect ratios - tested on 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3.
    • Not actually set up as a screensaver yet - the program is available as a .py executable. Turning it into a proper screensaver is in progress.
    • You will need python-clutter installed. Look in Synaptic.

Please, all you lovely people, test this for me!

http://launchpad.net/portada
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Apple AA battery charger. This charges everything. Again."

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Portada - An album art screensaver

Wow what timing. I haven't looked for an album art screensaver for linux in about 3 years. I randomly check today and find your script the day you put it online. Made me very happy.

I have no problems with running it. I installed python-clutter and everything acted as expected. I haven't looked into it much, but do you know a way to make this a screensaver? Someway to tell ubuntu to run python porada.py after X minutes idle time?

Thanks again.

joe

Edit: Just saw on your launchpad page your plan to implement this as a screen saver.
    Last edited by skajoeska; April 21st, 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: You are already planning on adding the feature

Beans
    Distro

I'm actually having trouble implementing this into Gnome-Screensaver - can't see a way to do it. I'll look into Xscreensaver, and if that doesn't work it'll just have to be a standalone.

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah I couldn't see anyway of using gnome-screensaver. In the man pages of xscreensaver there is a section that describes how to run an external script or command when the screensaver is activated after a certain idle time by using the "watch" argument. You can specify the idle time in the xscreensaver preferences. It seems like the best option, but I don't know much.

Beans
    Distro

I think I'll just work externally for now - it gives me the option to continue working on a rather sexy settings menu. Attached is what I have so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool!

It's Cool, I Like It Nice Work!
    "කරපු තරමක් කෙරුවෙ උදව්... අහපු තරමක් ඇහුවෙ බෙනුම්..." - If You Expect To Help... Expect Earshot...

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cool!

Could you guys post some screenshots of how it looks for you? Just wondering how it looks at different resolutions and things.

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Portada - An album art screensaver

Hey looks pretty good on my netbook! I'd like to see this in xscreensaver... stretching effects would be nice.