Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    3

    Angry How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    Hi all!

    I'm trying to install Mono develop on my D2Plug (ARMADA 510 processor). Mono is a cross platform .NET development framework and since I need a version > 2.4 (which is the version found in the Synaptics package manager), the only way to do this is to go to get it from the badgerports repository. (This is what I believe)


    From badgerports:
    Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS)

    Users of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) can install 2.10.5 by using Synaptic from the badgerports repository. badgerports is an unofficial community project from one of the Debian/Ubuntu Mono developers to ship latest Ubuntu packages for Ubuntu LTS users. Please visit the URL below for full information on enabling these packages:

    http://badgerports.org/
    , http://mono-project.com/DistroPackages/Ubuntu


    Well, to save you the details, this does not work that easy for me. I tried to follow the install instructions found there but run into issues (due to the ARM processor I think).

    I mailed the contact person on the site (http://badgerports.org) with my problems, and I guess he would give me further answers if i just asked him, but since I think the solution might interest more people than just me, why not ask this question on this public forum?

    When I followed the standard instructions I had problems. I mailed the site contact person and this was his answer:

    I'm afraid I don't publish packages for ARM - I rely on Launchpad's PPA
    infrastructure to build my packages, and mere mortals like me aren't
    given access to ARM builders.


    My next question to the site contact person was if it was impossible to install Monodevelop version > 2.4 on the D2Plug?


    It's actually possible, but not so user-friendly.

    You're going to need to compile a couple of things yourself, but you can
    use the badgerports source packages to do it cleanly-ish.

    Install devscripts and wget, make a new folder, and run "dget
    https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+archive/ppa/+files/mono_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1.dsc" - this should download the mono source package from badgerports, and extract it to the current folder. Switch into the mono-2.10.5 folder and run dpkg-buildpackage. It'll throw an error about missing build dependencies - install them, and try again. Eventually it'll start compiling Mono (which will take a few hours)

    Once it's done, there'll be a bunch of .deb files in the parent folder -
    you can install them with "dpkg -i".

    Once you have Mono 2.10.5 for ARM installed, you can actually just
    download the amd64 MonoDevelop package directly from
    https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+ar...s_filter=lucid - you don't need to recompile it, because .NET code is cross-platform, so the package is cross-platform too.

    Any other missing dependencies, check my PPA URL above - if the package
    is _all.deb, download it and install with "dpkg -i". If there are
    _i386.deb or _amd64.deb packages, you'll need to recompile it yourself
    by running "dget" on the .dsc file and following the procedure I
    outlined above for Mono

    Sorry this isn't any easier than it could be, but I did some less-common
    architecture builds for badgerports 6.06 - it took about 90% of my
    packaging time, and had less than a dozen users.



    Well, I installed the devscripts (via "default" Synaptics package manager on D2Plug, I downloaded the mono source package from badgerports:

    dget https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+ar...hx1~lucid1.dsc

    I exctracted the package
    sudo tar xvjf mono_2.10.5.orig.tar.bz2

    I switched to the directory:
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~$ cd mono-2.10.5
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~/mono-2.10.5$



    and tried to build:

    ubuntu@D2Plug:~/mono-2.10.5$ sudo dpkg-buildpackage
    [sudo] password for ubuntu:
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
    dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
    dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    tail: cannot open `debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1


    How should I proceed? What should my next step be? How should I force "dpkg-buildpackage: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1"?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    1,574
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    Quote Originally Posted by HaunsTM View Post
    I exctracted the package
    sudo tar xvjf mono_2.10.5.orig.tar.bz2

    I switched to the directory:
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~$ cd mono-2.10.5
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~/mono-2.10.5$
    This is the step where you went wrong.

    Delete that folder with "rm -r mono-2.10.5" and use this command to extract instead:

    Code:
    dpkg-source -x mono_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1.dsc
    This will extract not only the upstream source code, but all of the Debian packaging data and patches too.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    3

    Smile Re: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    Thank you so much! It worked!

    I think there is just one more thing that I need help with. I tried to install the .deb-packages but got this:

    Code:
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~$ sudo dpkg -i libmono2.0-cil_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1_all.deb
    [sudo] password for ubuntu: 
    Selecting previously deselected package libmono2.0-cil.
    (Reading database ... 155255 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libmono2.0-cil (from libmono2.0-cil_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libmono2.0-cil:
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 2.6.3); however:
      Version of libmono-corlib2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-security2.0-cil (>= 2.6.7); however:
      Version of libmono-security2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-system-web2.0-cil (>= 2.10.3); however:
      Package libmono-system-web2.0-cil is not installed.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-system2.0-cil (>= 2.10.3); however:
      Version of libmono-system2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
    dpkg: error processing libmono2.0-cil (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     libmono2.0-cil
    What shall I do in order to get rid of the "dependency problems - leaving unconfigured"?
    Last edited by HaunsTM; February 11th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    1,574
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    Quote Originally Posted by HaunsTM View Post
    Thank you so much! It worked!

    I think there is just one more thing that I need help with. I tried to install the .deb-packages but got this:

    Code:
    ubuntu@D2Plug:~$ sudo dpkg -i libmono2.0-cil_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1_all.deb
    [sudo] password for ubuntu: 
    Selecting previously deselected package libmono2.0-cil.
    (Reading database ... 155255 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libmono2.0-cil (from libmono2.0-cil_2.10.5-1~dhx1~lucid1_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libmono2.0-cil:
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 2.6.3); however:
      Version of libmono-corlib2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-security2.0-cil (>= 2.6.7); however:
      Version of libmono-security2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-system-web2.0-cil (>= 2.10.3); however:
      Package libmono-system-web2.0-cil is not installed.
     libmono2.0-cil depends on libmono-system2.0-cil (>= 2.10.3); however:
      Version of libmono-system2.0-cil on system is 2.4.4~svn151842-1ubuntu4.
    dpkg: error processing libmono2.0-cil (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     libmono2.0-cil
    What shall I do in order to get rid of the "dependency problems - leaving unconfigured"?
    You can specify more than one .deb at once with "dpkg -i" - you should be installing pretty much all of them - i.e. mono-devel and everything it says it needs (maybe even *.deb, but a couple of them will error out like firebirdsql, you'll need to remove those subsequently)
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    3

    Re: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    You can specify more than one .deb at once with "dpkg -i" - you should be installing pretty much all of them - i.e. mono-devel and everything it says it needs (maybe even *.deb, but a couple of them will error out like firebirdsql, you'll need to remove those subsequently)
    Code:
    dpkg -i *.deb
    That also worked! Thank you so much!


    From my original post (the mail correspondense with the badgerports contact person) I got this message:
    Once you have Mono 2.10.5 for ARM installed, you can actually just
    download the amd64 MonoDevelop package directly from
    https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+ar...s_filter=lucid - you don't need to recompile it, because .NET code is cross-platform, so the package is cross-platform too.
    If I understand it correctly, I do have Mono.2.10.5 after the
    Code:
    dpkg -i *.deb
    command by now? If so, and anyway, I'm not sure what to download from https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+ar...s_filter=lucid? I can't find a package "amd64 MonoDevelop" from his link?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    1,574
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to install Mono develop on a D2Plug?

    monodevelop_2.8.5+dfsg-1~dhx1~lucid1_all.deb
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •