Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: share wifi with android and block Ads

share wifi with android and block Ads

hello,

I asked this on an Android forum but realized that it is an Ubuntu question.

I have a comprehensive /etc/hosts file on Ubuntu and I wish to share ubuntu's wifi with my android tablet with the idea being that if android is sharing the wifi from Ubuntu that Ads will be blocked getting to android because of the /etc/hosts file on Ubuntu.

correct?

I have to ask as I've tried and it seemed to not work (blocking Ads that is). I wonder if the sharing failed or my theory is dumb?
    i got linux soley for the gnome operating system as i thought it would be fun to have a remote controlled gnome, but no, it's a computer OS....
    TaoWow Taoist blog | a few Linux and Android bits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: share wifi with android and block Ads

I am also interested in this one.

Were you at least successful in sharing the Ubuntu's Internet over the Wifi to Android tablet? I've tried it a few times and came to know that 'Gingerbread' doesn't support Ad-hoc Wifi networks. Don't know if 'ICS' supports it.

I don't have to offer anything regarding the /etc/hosts file and blocking of the ads though.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: share wifi with android and block Ads

Wifi tethering / adhoc networks is available in later version of a "clean" android environment. The problem arises with the tweaks that the various phone suppliers make to "customise" <-- read as "cripple" the default setup by disabling some services; frequently network related.

Depending how brave you are feeling you may want to look into finding an alternate rom for your phone (some may also require flashing a new kernel) http://www.xda-developers.com/ is a good place to look and for more "advanced" android hackery

I have not tried the specific setup you are after on my xperia x10 mini pro but find the wifi has massively improved stability and flexibility (tethering etc) now that it is running the CM7 rom with the NAa kernel when compared with the SE stock flakey rhubarb it came supplied with
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

thanks,

I'm tempted to try a new rom on my tablet but probably not my phone, but that is another story and for now I'm keen to set up home wifi sharing - especially if I can block ads this way without needing to root and add an /etc/hosts to android.
    i got linux soley for the gnome operating system as i thought it would be fun to have a remote controlled gnome, but no, it's a computer OS....

Beans

Thumbs down Re: share wifi with android and block Ads

All that said... you could just push your tweaked hosts file to your tablet

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=514698

You could then just connect to your wifi router (assuming you have one) as normal and get the same benefit as on ubuntu.
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

sanselbow - very promising option - thanks!

Beans

if your rooted, just install adfree from the Android market.

i use opera mobile & a urlfilter.ini file to block ads in just opera. no root needed.
    Last edited by kerry_s; February 8th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

hi,

I was looking for a non root option as my first choice.

a non root option would be very popular an beneficial to the android community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phonicboom View Post
    hi,

I was looking for a non root option as my first choice.

a non root option would be very popular an beneficial to the android community.
    see my edit above. attached the file for you here.
    (first time I've ever found the need to upload from Android. lol )
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kerry_s wow excellent solution.

opera is quite a bit quicker than stock too.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast