View Poll Results: Would you use it?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Id use it.

42 54.55%
  • No, i'll stick with what i have.

35 45.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gmail alternative.......Canonical, Red Hat, Novell...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Gmail alternative.......Canonical, Red Hat, Novell...

moving to my own "dark" cloud. not just email, but pretty much everything else. I don't think I wanna trust those guys..

Beans

I'd definitely use a "Linux" email. I like gmail, but it's become what my yahoo account was. full of useless email everyday. that's my fault, but I'd also enjoy a company not reading my email to target ads to me. just my thoughts

Beans

I'm a TuxFamily member, so I just use the email address they provide, but a Gmail alternative sounds somewhat interesting.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just signed up with Lavabit a few days ago. Pretty much exactly what i propose as the alternative. Now if the said companies would just get behind it, that would be awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vorwart View Post
    Gmail was Linux freindly, but the "new look" is proving otherwise. ...
    How is it unfriendly to linux? I personally haven't had any issues using it. O.o
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Even though Google is evil, I would stick with Gmail for a couple of reasons.

1. Because all of Google's apps are integrated pretty well together, and it's just easier to use with my phone and tablet. It would take a lot of work to be able to replicate all of that. I'm talking not just about Gmail, but how it works so well with everything else that is Google.

2. Because I went a few years early on where I used my ISP's email, and I kept changing ISPs, causing me to have to send out emails to all of my contacts asking them to change my address in their address books. I have enjoyed the last 12 or 13 years of having the same email address, and I don't want to have to mess with email forwarding.

And also, I'm satisfied as an end user with Google stuff, so why go through the hassle of changing it all?
    I hate when people call an company evil for trying to make a profit. Google has done a lot for the open source community. But in order to not turn into a bankrupt company they have to create revenue. So if that means they are evil than I guess you could blame capitalism.

I dont see what the big deal is a about, what privacy issues do you have with Google? Or are you guys the tin foil hat wearing type?
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Anyone else wish there was Gmail alternative....
    A big YES just for this part, for many reasons, which include-
    Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    ....moving off Google services as they are getting a little facebooky for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Gmail works perfectly for my needs and has been incredibly reliable over the years. I don't see any problem with it from a security or privacy standpoint. Them scanning my email to show me ads is a ridiculously low price for the service they offer..
    True, and I have nothing against Google so far. I just fear the potential "monopoly" which is never good in a human world, but is becoming more and more prevalent in search engines, a few specific services, email, even in browser to some extent in case of google.

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Because all of Google's apps are integrated pretty well together, and it's just easier to use with my phone and tablet. It would take a lot of work to be able to replicate all of that. I'm talking not just about Gmail, but how it works so well with everything else that is Google.
    ..and the (potential) problem is - everything IS becoming 'google' - a slow but steady transition towards the 'monopoly' which may never be perfect, but still dominant and powerful enough to turn abusive someday (and for some of us, it already is turning abusive in some aspects).

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Their contacts/calendar/mail system is easy to use, featureful and reliable; it ties into my iphone and Thunderbird seamlessly. Online document creation and management exceeds my requirements.

All of this, for free; why on earth would I want to move?
    I think we are just talking about a 'suitable alternative', not a total turn-down of google. You know, 'Balance of Power' is a crucial ingredient in a peaceful world!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123